Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
sewing thoughts??? >

sewing thoughts???

sewing thoughts???

Old 03-28-2015, 07:00 AM

Fizzle, I feel most gifts are personal (at least for my friends and family). So when I sew or quilt for them, they know I have put "TIME" "THOUGHT" "ENERGY" and most of all "LOVE" into my gift for them. I can always get a gift card like a candy bar at the check out of ANY store (no thought has to be given), like a lot of people I had an "emergency stash" of 2 or 3 gift cards (have them because they where purchased as a fundraiser and at a discount for a friends kids school). They have bailed me out when I needed to give something to someone that wasn't in my close circle, so I forgot about needing a gift (my bad). During the holidays, my friends and family know that I will make a "big purchase" to give to someone and everyone else gets homemade. I have to be careful with my money (husband is retired and not well, so I'm only able to work a very part time job - like so many others money is tight), so the person or family getting the "BIG" gift is different each year. I also think our machines are our friends (and family too), so we love to work with them and share them too. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:03 AM

Why do you care what someone says? You can buy food in a restaurant, why does she cook? That list could go on and on ad on. You do, because you can!! I keep thinking what a valuable asset I will be when the zombies come!!!! The village will have to protect me LOL!!

Face it, quilters take perfectly good fabreic, cut it up, sew it back together and say we made something!! LOL, we are a wacky bunch, all taken together but always with love!!

Last edited by AZ Jane; 03-28-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:13 AM

I haven't read through all of the responses but when you make a quilt each seam and color choice is a hug or a prayer for that persons well being. We all have our strengths and skills ours just happens to be sewing and we love the creative avenues that open to us through quilting. My grand mother was a quilter, my mother collected fabric, notions, buttons, thread, cook books. Me I love to sew and share that love with others. So anyone can go out and buy a blanket or a throw, but it won't have that gift of love that is sewn in and therefore it is just a blanket. I didn't get to spend much time with my grandma but I knew the love she had for me every time I wrapped myself in the quilt that she had sewn for me.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:21 AM

Maybe the old saying "It's the thought that counts" applies here, that you thought enough of your friend that you wanted to make them something, something that is a part of you. Anyone can go buy a gift, but not everyone can make a truly special and unique gift themselves. I love to sew quilts and gifts for my friends and family, because they know I took the time to do that, just for them.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:43 AM
Power Poster

My response to people saying that to me has been "It keeps me from being boring. People that have no creative interests are boring to be around."
Old 03-28-2015, 07:45 AM

Faykilgore said it all. Sure you can buy a blanket, a quilt, a lap throw, a crib blanket or a wall hanging; but none of them would have a little piece of you in them. I sew because it makes me happy. I make things for my friends and family because I love them and I'm giving them a part of me each time. My sister doesn't understand why I spend so much time on creating a quilt, but she respects my choice and loves the things I make for her. My DH is completely supportive, but he doesn't understand why I get so excited when I see a pattern that delights me for to him a quilt is a quilt is a quilt. He will never understand "stash", but he is the most wonderful color consultant I could ever want. So keep on sewing and creating, some day your friends and family might get it.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
My response to people saying that to me has been "It keeps me from being boring. People that have no creative interests are boring to be around."
Oh, you are so right. Watching repeats of SVU, Criminal Minds, etc. does not expand one's mind.
Old 03-28-2015, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

Many people, even those we love, will never "get it". That's fine-- they don't have to. You don't have to have the approval of others to have fun doing what makes you happy and gives you satisfaction. I would find a very simplistic reply for them, and not waste any more time thinking about it.

You have plenty of friends who DO 'get it', right here! We've got your back!
Old 03-28-2015, 07:58 AM

I agree with everything said on this topic. Why do I quilt....because I need to. I do other creative things as well, why?? Why did Picasso paint, why does any artist do what they do, because to be creative is our heritage. Everyone is born with the creative gene. A toddler smearing spaghetti sauce around the tray of the high chair is being creative. Some have the artistic impulse squashed out. Too sad for them, you don't need a reason to do what you do in the sewing room. Just take joy in the fact that you have not had your inner artist weeded out. I had a lady once tell me this at a craft fair. She picked up a quilted item, sniffed and said..." this is too expensive, I could buy it for a lot less at Walmart." I replied, " No you can't it is a one of kind, unique, and there are none like it at any retail store." I told her I refused to sell to her, she walked off in a huff, I collected my stuff and went home. I decided that life was too short to expose myself to such ignorance and I really did not need the money that much. This is one decision I am very happy I made. To this day I do not sell any of my work. If I give a gift to someone, it is because we have to have some kind of personal connection, whereas if sell you something all you need is money. I prefer to have the personal connection.
Old 03-28-2015, 08:00 AM

Do they garden? Why? creating things from seeds or ideas