Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Resale, complicated? >

Resale, complicated?

Resale, complicated?

Old 04-01-2015, 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
He gets homemade pie, I get questions answered. LOL
Is there a house available right across the street from you and your neighbor??

Old 04-01-2015, 10:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
Designers can attach any rule to their designs but rules are not laws. Only the copyright law will apply. Funny the rules are always next to the copyright law on the pattern. That is to fool you to think it is part of the copyright. Next door neighbor is an attorney who's firm has a publication company as a client. He gets homemade pie, I get questions answered. LOL
love the pie statement
Old 04-01-2015, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
so many patterns are just re-makes. I'll see a log cabin done in red and greens and they call it watermelon delight and are considered the "designer". Why are they the designer?? it's alog cabin. I see this all the time. Unless it's completely new or an applique that they drew themselves, how could they be the designer of the quilt. I don't understand it.
I noticed that too, as a matter of fact, a whole lot of designs look like they are infringements! I'm guessing that it's the color placement they are referring to......?
Old 04-01-2015, 11:12 AM

I don't pay for anything that isn't going to be mine when I shell out the money.
Old 04-01-2015, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by #1piecemaker View Post
I don't pay for anything that isn't going to be mine when I shell out the money.
it sure will make me think twice or more before i buy another pattern or at least find out about the "resale rules"
Old 04-01-2015, 11:27 AM

I understand a designer not wanting a commercial business from making lots of replicas and selling them. I do not understand not being able to use a pattern that I purchase for quite a lot of money to make two or three for gifts or to be a part of a charity sale. But a bigger issue to me is the message on the selvedges of fabric that it is for personal use only. You would think they should want you to buy lots of fabric and use it for lots of applications. By this kind of limitation they really cut their sales. If I can only use for something for me personally, how much of any given fabric am I going to use? Not much! I am a very honest person and will not cross these lines. Therefore, I do not buy these items. Who iI see so many patterns that are such obvious rehashing. There is nothing unusual or "design worthy" about them.
Old 04-01-2015, 12:29 PM

I think reasonable people understand that a reasonable use of a pattern purchased to create something useful, includes individual resale of the useful item made from that pattern. I think most people understand that they shouldn't set up mass production of items for profit based on someone else's work, without arranging for permission and appropriate compensation. Beyond that, I refuse to worry about it.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:22 AM

I had this come up several months ago...not a quilt but a wedding dress. A friend's dtr is getting married and asked if I would make her dress. The dtr had seen a and tried on a gorgeous dress and her mom was trying to save money. I told her I wouldn't make an exact duplicate of the dress, I could do something similar but it really wasn't going to be any cheaper as it was like 6 layer skirt and lace overlay with beading. I told her IF she could find the fabric it was still going to cost her big $$ and as her dtr is a bit of a bridezilla (I didn't say THAT) and she loved the dress she tried on, I didn't think she'd be happy with anything I did. Long winded way of saying that unless I'm making a dress from a pattern, I won't make an exact duplicate of anything. And even then I usually tweak it a bit.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:50 AM

As I understand it , which may not be accurate, the instructions themselves cannot be copied and resold. Duh!

As to items made from those instructions, those are your creations, not the pattern designer's. After all, you chose the fabric, you did the work to make it.

I would think using a kit would be a decidedly gray area.

Just one more reason I don't do anything from a "pattern" that I might think about selling.

Wonder what "they" will think/do when "their" item shows up in Goodwill after some quilter's demise????
Old 04-02-2015, 04:11 AM

I bought one pattern and the instruction appeared to state that you could only make ONE from that pattern without violating copyright law. Doesn't matter what it says, if you paid for the pattern, the designer got paid for what she was selling, and you can use it to make items for yourself, friends, or even for sale as long as it is not a commercial application. However, I was so disgusted by the whole thing that now if I buy a pattern, i look at the copyright section and if it states some dumb thing like that one, I just put it back on the rack and walk away. If the pattern doesn't sell, what the as designer gained by trying to limit it use. It's an easy way to boycott those who want to sell lyou something and then tell you how to use it. I agree, there are plenty of free ones on the internet for unlimited use.