Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Resale, complicated? >

Resale, complicated?

Resale, complicated?

Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 PM
Power Poster

The most common theme in articles about copyright infringement laws, allow you to make anything from a pattern, however, you need to acknowledge who made the original pattern; but I'm sure there are more specific informational articles on the QB that would explain it better than I just did.
Old 04-02-2015, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by AnnT View Post
I had this come up several months ago...not a quilt but a wedding dress. A friend's dtr is getting married and asked if I would make her dress. The dtr had seen a and tried on a gorgeous dress and her mom was trying to save money. I told her I wouldn't make an exact duplicate of the dress, I could do something similar but it really wasn't going to be any cheaper as it was like 6 layer skirt and lace overlay with beading. I told her IF she could find the fabric it was still going to cost her big $$ and as her dtr is a bit of a bridezilla (I didn't say THAT) and she loved the dress she tried on, I didn't think she'd be happy with anything I did. Long winded way of saying that unless I'm making a dress from a pattern, I won't make an exact duplicate of anything. And even then I usually tweak it a bit.
I caught hell from a designer once. I bought the pattern and tweaked it to my daughter's satisfaction for her wedding dress. Posted to a sewing forum and apparently the designer saw it . She was incensed that I took the shoulder pads out and adjusted the pattern, also for using a heavy fabric for an overskirt. However, I wasn't reselling, was for personal use, so I just ignored her.

Don't tell me something HAS TO look, worn, be used as you designed it. If your instructions or design is lacking, I'll simply work around it.

If I don't like darts, I'll remove them. I can draw a pattern for almost any kind of sleeve. Too bad. I'm not claiming the pattern or selling it. Personal use, one item.
Old 04-02-2015, 03:43 PM

If we are not allowed to copy a pattern in a quilt that we made for sale there would be no quilts sold. Think about the double wedding ring, the 4 patch, the 9 patch, all those old time patterns. We would not be allowed to make those and sell them. Something is wrong in Denmark. It just does not make sense. Something is wrong in those who are hollering about their pattern being made and sold. We would have to find out who first designed all these all patterns before we could sell them. It is not possible.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:51 AM

I rarely following the pattern 100%, so, I guess then it's my interpretation of their pattern. I don't sell my quilts, so I guess it doesn't matter too much to me.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:03 AM

Originally Posted by Barb in Louisiana View Post
Copyright infringement has been discussed here several times. Each has their own opinion and then there is the law.

Edited to add: I shouldn't admit this, but I can recreate a lot of patterns using EQ or graph paper....most quilters can. I make changes to them so that I am not using a direct copy of the pattern so that I am not guilty of copyright infringement. Very often I find that the block that is the center core of the pattern is in public domain. Am I breaking the law because I start with their idea but don't end up with it? Who knows? Hope not. I understand not mass producing a pattern, but making one and raffling it, or if someone falls in love with it, letting them reimburse you for your time and expenses should be okay.
I can't see how you are in violation. One person told me that it is not possible to copyright geometric shapes. If so, I am not sure how people can claim copyright. I suppose we should all study copyright.gov. (I think that is the address.)

I, too have found that with EQ I can take a picture and recreate the pattern--and since it is usually just squares, triangles, and rectangles, I don't feel like I'm stealing either.

If it is complicated, like a Judy Neiermeyer, then, no, I couldn't begin to do that kind of thing on EQ. (Maybe someone could, but I'm not good enough yet.)

Even that "wild and goosey" block that a famous quilter designed is basically available on EQ and you can just print it in the size you need as a paper pieced block. The ones that come on EQ6 have 2, 4 and 6 geese in exactly the same layout and hers had 3, but it's pretty much the same block--just the number of geese is different.

Here's the choices that EQ 6 has on the first page of choices: [ATTACH=CONFIG]515736[/ATTACH]

So,change away...even little things and I can't see how the other person can say you took her/his idea.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	geese on EQ.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	515736  

Last edited by justflyingin; 04-03-2015 at 02:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by Weezy Rider View Post
I caught hell from a designer once. I bought the pattern and tweaked it to my daughter's satisfaction for her wedding dress. Posted to a sewing forum and apparently the designer saw it . She was incensed that I took the shoulder pads out and adjusted the pattern, also for using a heavy fabric for an overskirt. However, I wasn't reselling, was for personal use, so I just ignored her.

Don't tell me something HAS TO look, worn, be used as you designed it. If your instructions or design is lacking, I'll simply work around it.

If I don't like darts, I'll remove them. I can draw a pattern for almost any kind of sleeve. Too bad. I'm not claiming the pattern or selling it. Personal use, one item.
One thing...just because someone complains doesn't mean that they have right to complain...they could be just making noise.

My understanding of the sewing world is that you can't copyright clothes designs. So your designer friend who was upset--too bad--hope she feels better soon.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:12 AM

Originally Posted by MargeD View Post
The most common theme in articles about copyright infringement laws, allow you to make anything from a pattern, however, you need to acknowledge who made the original pattern; but I'm sure there are more specific informational articles on the QB that would explain it better than I just did.
And that is where the crux of the problem is. Doing the research to find who made the original pattern can be a pain. Someone in 2012 may have put it on the internet, but how do not know if the "original pattern" was actually in a magazine in 1990?
Old 04-03-2015, 02:41 AM

All I can say this world is getting crazier all the time where oh where are the good old days where every one shared ----the old quilting bees where we shared patterns ,recipes garden seeds or anything we wanted to now it is all about greed and dictatorship and seems we can trust no one it is a totaly different world than the one I use to know
Old 04-03-2015, 02:53 AM

Ultimately, no designer is going to come after the individual quilter who sells a quilt from their pattern or sells the pattern at a yard sale or makes a copy for a friend. They copyright protect their patterns to protect against the mass producer and against other designers. I agree with the others, there are too many free resources out there to pay $8, or evern more, for a pattern to be used once, maybe twice.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:02 AM

thank you for all your input -- food for more thought.....