Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit >

HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit

HQ16 / APQS George vs. BlockRockit

Old 04-02-2015, 05:20 PM

Lynn and Kathy, who sell the BlockRockit are great to work with, and have lots of great support and video tutorials to help you.

The HQ Sweet 16 is a great machine, except for the stitch regulator.

Have not heard of the George, yet.

Have fun with your search!
Old 04-02-2015, 05:25 PM

I have a BlockRockIt and it is not a sit down machine. I use mine on a Little Gracie II frame. It loads just like the big boys and I move the machine not the fabric. They have released a sit down machine recently but it is new. The support from Lynn and Kathy is great as is the Grace Company who makes the machine for them.

Last edited by Ginaky; 04-02-2015 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by quiltedsunshine View Post
Lynn and Kathy, who sell the BlockRockit are great to work with, and have lots of great support and video tutorials to help you.

The HQ Sweet 16 is a great machine, except for the stitch regulator.

Have not heard of the George, yet.

Have fun with your search!
The George is an APQS machine and is a sit-down longarm (has a 20" throat). Are you looking for a longarm or a midarm? All sitdown machines require you to push the sandwich through the machine, while a midsize or standard longarm are on a frame that you requires loading the sandwich on the frame.

I love my Innova 26" with a stitch regulator, but purchasing any machine is definitely a personal choice, so you should try as many machines as possible. You can see what is in your budget, and consider looking for a used or demo machine. Ask the dealers if they have one available, or you can look online at a site like Longarm University. Also, if you buy a new machine, ask if classes are included, so you can learn the basics.

Another suggestion is, if possible before buying, see if one of your LQS offers a class and rents time on their longarm and see if you like quilting on a longarm (midsize will be similar).

Last edited by caspharm; 04-02-2015 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:33 AM

Here is my blockrockit set up, I have only had it since November and love it.I bought the launchpad frame so I could do up to a king size quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1655.JPG
Views:	701
Size:	30.9 KB
ID:	515738  
Old 04-03-2015, 03:20 AM

My solution was to find a used grace frame with a mega quilter at a really good price and try that. It even has a stitch regulator. It took me as long to load my quilt as it does to spray baste one. It takes a lot of space that I didn't want to give up. I could only work a pattern that fit in the small area that the throat of the machine covered.The biggest draw back though was that I didn't enjoy quilting on it as much as I had on my DSM.
I finally decided on a sweet 16 sit down machine. I do have the stitch regulator (it does work really well once you know how to use it) but I found that the machine is so easy to use that I don't need it. My largest quilt so far is a queen size and I had no problem with that and expect that the king sized that is getting pieced now will work as easily. I pick up different kinds of thread just to try them and it works great on everything I have fed it, from 60 weight to 12 weight in cotton or poly.
I have table space on either side of my machine to hold the quilt and I work in a puddle so the only fabric that I am pushing is that small area between my hands. I do mostly FMQ and I am learning to use rulers. I really love to use it and it fits nicely into my sewing room.
I still don't like sandwiching the quilt.
Try different options before you decide. I am sure one will feel just right.
Old 04-03-2015, 03:50 AM

I have the Voyager17 and a Hinterberg stretch frame and use it standing up. I went to this set-up, as I was really rotten trying to do FMQ, and hated crawling around on the floor basting a quilt sandwich. I've had this for about 7 yrs. and have been very happy with it.
Old 04-03-2015, 05:39 AM

There is another machine that several friends have around here. It's the Sunshine 16, made in Tennessee. They love it. Check that one out.
Old 04-03-2015, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
I didn't realize you could have a midarm on a frame, how does this work? I have obviously confused the descriptions, because I thought a midarm (like the BL Tiara) was a large harp machine set into a table, but with the machine set the opposite of how a DSM is set up. How large a quilt can be quilted on a mid arm with a frame? How big is the frame? Any idea how the price of this set up compares to a midarm in a table? Just for example, Of course true cost would depend on brand, dealer, sales etc.
The terms mid arm and long arm refer to the throat space. Generally speaking, a throat of between 12 - 16" is considered a midarm and anything over is considered a LA. But the terms are used loosely.

ANY sewing machine can be loaded onto a frame. Even a small domestic with only a 9" throat. All machines from the little domestic to the huge commercial jobs (32" or larger throat that they use to do mattresses) ride on a carriage that is on the frame. The small machines run out of room very quickly because as quilting progresses, the completed quilt is rolled onto a takeup roller that is also taking up throat space. So many who mount a small throat machine (IMHO that is anything under 16" harp) on a rack are quickly discouraged because they have to turn a larger quilt to complete quilting and run out of available quilt space so quickly. Turning means unpinning the entire sandwich and literally turning it around so the completed part is on the front roller. Additionally, LA quilting machines are much more heavy duty and run at much higher speeds than a domestic or a stretched machine like the bailey. So it is very easy for the quilter to manipulate the machine head faster than it is capable of sewing. This leads to a whole different set of problems or the quilter must train themselves to move the machine much more slowly.

To me, the beauty of frame quilting is:
No more basting the quilt sandwich
It is more "intuitive" to move the machine over the quilt rather then move the quilt under the machine
I don't have to start in the middle and work your way out
I am more comfortable standing up to quilt than sitting down

the downside is the frame does take up a lot of room. I have a dedicated room for my LA and I still could only fit a 10 ft frame. Would have loved to have a 12 ft.

Last edited by feline fanatic; 04-03-2015 at 08:07 AM.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:39 AM

Also keep in mind the blockrockit is only 14 inches which is not as much room to quilt as a long arm. I agree with trying them out at a large show. I also agree about the baileys being more affordable and you get more space than the blockrockit, it is just a more basic machine, not fancy like others. There are also more ways to baste that are less harsh on the back. Sharon Schamber has a good method with boards that she does for thread basting, but others have used it for glue and spray basting methods if you are interested in the sit downs. For me I like long arms but I am also on my feet all day at work and have hip problems so in the long run a long arm where I stand all day is probably not going to ever be ideal for me healthwise. Those are also things you have to take into consideration. Space is also another consideration sit downs take up way less room than long arms. You can't make a large purchase based on other peoples views as each person is suited to different machines. For a large purchase you must test drive before buying otherwise you may end up with buyers remorse
Old 04-04-2015, 03:04 AM

I purchased a sit-down and I did not like it at all. Now have the long-arm and both my husband & I love it. I did manage to sell the sit-down version for the same price I paid for it.

I am wondering if anyone has experience with both and would like to hear your opinions, likes, dislikes. Thank you very much.[/QUOTE]