Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you an Artist or just a Quilter? >

Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

Old 04-04-2015, 06:28 AM

Without hesitation, an artist. I've never used patterns, often don't even use blocks, sometimes create my own fabrics, mostly design 'with a message' (though sometimes it's a surprise to me until I see it finished), and always aim for excellence (not the unattainable 'perfection') in the execution of my work. If I were the only person on earth, none of that would change and I would still be creating quilts. It feeds my soul.
Old 04-04-2015, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Guess I'm just imperfect. Don't consider myself an artist but I like to create on my own time at my own pace. I use patterns and don't use patterns. I just try to make coverings for those I love to keep them comfy. My reward is the appreciation and smile I see on their faces. I've been told I'm quite the craftsman and quite the artist only because they haven't tried it.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:44 AM

I wouldn't call myself a craftsman because while I do my best I don't aim for perfection. I don't take pride in perfect points and matching seams, although I like them, of course.

When I think of quilting artists, I think of people who work completely outside of the box, making art quilts with new techniques creating one of a kind pieces. That's not me, I don't have the courage to even attempt that sort of thing.

For me, the most creative and enjoyable part of quilting is the challenge. I like solving problems and determining the best use of fabric and pattern and purpose. That figuring out of things is what is fun for me.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:06 AM

I feel I'm a artist quilter as I put a lot of thought into every quilt I make from the fabrics and pattern I choose all the way up to the quilting layout which is usually custom. A lot of time is put into every one of my quilts. They're not perfect by any means but a lot of myself is there just the same. It may be a very simple quilt but once its been quilted, its anything but simple. Lots of folks don't realize just how much time, effort and money goes into our........should I call it hobby as it is for me. I hate to even put a price on it as my quilts are all gifts to someone made with their preference in mind.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:12 AM
Power Poster

Quilters are artists who work in the fabric medium. Just as there is a vast spectrum of paint artistry, anywhere from Grandma Moses to Rembrandt and everything in between, so is there a vast spectrum of quilting artistry: From the basic utility quilting to quilts that look like paintings to hang on the wall. It's all good... we do what we love. I don't worry myself with the labels.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:24 AM

I guess I am an artist as I was painting and doing other art related hobby's before I started quilting. I look on quilting as an extension of my love of art and plan each quilt as I would a painting, flower arrangement or designing a room. There is so much fun in having a idea and designing it out and watching it come to life from start to finish.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:40 AM

What a wonderful group of thoughtful replies to the question. I am a quilter-there is no doubt about that because I have lots of quilts to attest to that-many have been given away. I definitely am a technical craftsman-I can follow directions. I am a bit of an engineer because I can alter sizes of blocks and rearrange them. I choose colors by formulations from people who devised the color wheel. But, I am not an artist-I am a spectator of the art of other people. I wish I could draw and create but I can't so I just do what I can do best-be an imitator or art and be content to be able to craft the artistic concepts of others.
Old 04-04-2015, 09:13 PM

I sew to please myself. I like colors and I am glad I was (am) s seamstress before a quilter. Now I really like both. I don't make suites or dresses anymore but like to make Hats, purses, aprons, placemats, table toppers and all that I can tie into quilting.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:08 AM

If you ask my wife, I am a artist. She doesn't quilt and loves all mine.
If you ask me, I'd say craftsman.
If you compare me to most on this board, I'm a craftsman's apprentice. LOL

Last edited by Future Quilter; 04-05-2015 at 03:13 AM.
Old 04-05-2015, 04:04 AM

I feel the same as Sandygirl on this one! I fit into a category that is all my own!