Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Are you an Artist or just a Quilter? >

Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

Old 04-03-2015, 09:16 PM

Default Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

After the recent (today) reminder in the thread about "Manly" quilts that we all quilt for different reasons, the thought came to me... Am I an artist or a craftsman?

A craftsman will take any pieces of fabric and sew them into a quilt top, perfect seams, perfect borders, perfect quilting, perfect bindings. The product is... the closest to perfection any one craftsman can produce.

An artist will take fabric and turn it into an extension of ones mind, ones heart, ones creativity, and using the skills of a craftsman, produce something for the sake of debate, art.

I make quilts as a craftsman, with my heart and soul, but a limited amount of creativity, to please the ones around me. My latest project is a Sunshine and Shadow quilt using 2 inch blocks, strict plain fabrics, black backing and binding, all to produce for my daughter as close to an Amish style quilt as I can do. Not a lot of creativity, the pattern goes back hundreds of years, but a testament of providing her with a beautiful quilt that will never age.

I make quilts as an artist, with my mind designing quilts using fabrics of designers I admire. Robert Kaufmann for years hired inspired designers to produce lines of quilting fabrics that blew me away. Sherill Kahn is one of them. I took 22 fabrics she designed and created a quilt that lies on my bed. A piece of art in my mind. Did I design the fabric? Nope. But I took her designs and created a quilt that symbolizes how I felt when I was traveling 90 to 100 days a year. The fracturing of ones life as you cross time zones, live in foreign places, and uproot your life for weeks at a time. The interesting part is I sewed all those blocks in a hotel room in Germany where I stored a European sewing machine in the baggage room when I was not there.
My artistic quilts involve lots of south western patterns, I am heavily influenced by J. Michelle Watts. If you are ever in the Santa Fe area, visit the local quilt stores and see her work first hand. When I make SW quilts, there are no fabrics with cactus in them. They rely upon the beauty of fabrics that reflect the amazing south west color pallet.

So... are you an artist or are you a craftsman (quilter)?

tim in san jose
Old 04-03-2015, 10:21 PM

I'm having trouble with the phrase, 'just a quilter.' Some concepts aren't compatible with the notion of 'just'. One wouldn't say, 'She's just my mother.' If you're a quilter, you're a quilter, never just a quilter, if you see what I mean. But I believe I understand the distinction you're making.

I never quilt to please someone else. I look forward to giving my quilts to loved ones with the hope that they will be loved, but I've never made a quilt at another person's request, according to their preferences. The quilt has to spring from an idea or fabric that has captured my imagination. I don't think I would have the motivation to make it otherwise.
Old 04-03-2015, 11:23 PM

To say I'm an artist would really be throwing words around!

I love quilting but I don't even know if I can really call myself a quilter because I've only made a few quilts.

I'm getting serious about it now though.

Quilting has fascinated me since I was a little girl

I love it because I can make something beautiful(hopefully...)and useful.

The useful part really appeals to my frugal and practical nature
Old 04-03-2015, 11:32 PM

I am just somebody who likes to learn in different fields, different skills, quilting is one of them. Therefore, if I am not a quilter, does that make me an artist or a person of many interests, master of none.
Old 04-04-2015, 12:04 AM

A question I've thought a lot about! I'm a mediocre craftswoman because I had to let go of the drive for perfection: it was spoiling my enjoyment of my quilting (though I understand that for many, producing an item that's as near-perfect as possible is part of the joy of quilting). But for my sanity, I've accommodated with "good enough". I yearn to be an artist, to express something of myself and my life through original work, as so beautifully described in k-jupiter's post above, but I have great trouble accessing any creativity that might be lurking in there, plus I lack the technical skills to realise my ideas. It's frustrating, and something I struggle with, but I've yet to find the teacher who will help and inspire me to get through the blocks and learn the skills I need.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:23 AM

I think sewing is art and I think quilters are artistic. Picking fabrics, a pattern and quilting are all artistic expression. Just take a look in the pictures forum of this board. There are so many ways to use fabric. I'm always amazed at what I see other folks doing.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:50 AM

don't have an answer but just wanted to say "Hey Tim" glad to see you're still around.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:20 AM

I suspect many of us (mostly women) have been taught modesty as a virtue and while happy to say, "I'm a quilter," you'd be hard pressed to find many who will say, "I'm an artist." Notice how people say things like "quilters are artistic."

To claim the title 'artist' feels like hubris to many.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:39 AM

I am more of a craftsman, but always change something about a pattern, if it is just choosing my own colors and maybe changing the borders. Does that make me an artist? Probably not. But am I a craftsman? I am a piecer, letting the pattern and fabric tell me where to go. Could I create from only my thoughts? No. I get my inspiration from others, am not a perfect piecer, but do strive to create something I love. No, I'll never be an artist, but I'm happy with where I am. And, all my quilts are loved, even though they will never win ribbons or Best in Show.
Old 04-04-2015, 03:53 AM

Hobby Quilter. I sew for fun, I use fun fabric, i don't take myself that seriously, I try new things, I pick my own fabrics, I don't enter contests to be judged on my work. I don't want to make the exact project as in a store sample. I interpret the pattern in my own way. My "craftsmanship" is good. My points match, my binding skills are much better than a few years ago. I sew to please ME.

sandy