Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
For giggles, continued, I saw it on... >

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

For giggles, continued, I saw it on...

Old 04-08-2015, 10:39 AM
Banned

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111641226483

"Ornate Sewing Machine Winding Key"

That's what I've been doing wrong! I forgot to wind them!!!!!
Old 04-08-2015, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111641226483

"Ornate Sewing Machine Winding Key"

That's what I've been doing wrong! I forgot to wind them!!!!!
That explains everything!
Old 04-09-2015, 03:04 PM

Hi all,

It's taken me a while to get back here, life goes on...

I had found a Singer 15-91 in a "well worn" cabinet at Goodwill priced at $19.99 on Good Friday.
Finally decided to go back over the weekend and it was still there. So I decided to get it. Once home I decided to check it out more closely. It seemed "clean enough" for a test drive and sewed quite well, had to play with the tension a bit, but can't complain to much for $20. Now I've just got to find some attachements for it. I've already downloaded the Users manual and the Adjusters manual from the Singer website, wish all the companies provided that service.

A bit of cleaning and oiling and then she'll be good as new. Practically looks new anyway, except the cabinet.

Maybe when I get time, and figure out how, I'll post a picture.
After she's been cleaned up of course.

That brings four machines in the stable and I'll have to stop for a while lest the wife get testy.
She's much more fun than an "Old Machine" her words. Didn't help a thing when I told her that old machine was born the same year she was. No help at all...

Thanks for allowing me to participate here.

NewGuy
Old 04-09-2015, 03:09 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
... Didn't help a thing when I told her that old machine was born the same year she was. No help at all...NewGuy
Welcome back! Risky, risky, risky....
Old 04-09-2015, 03:15 PM

I don't get it. I may be going by "NewGuy" but I'm anything but new, well new to life. Sewing machines have only became an interest in the last few years...
What's the reference, like in the above mentioned key, to Steam Punk?
I looked up the definition of "Steam Punk" and can read what it says, but how does a sewing machine key, or any SM part fit into that definition? Maybe it's like the not so old saying, "If the music is too loud, then you're too old".
Maybe so, and "I kind of resemble that remark".
Old 04-09-2015, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by NewGuy View Post
What's the reference, like in the above mentioned key, to Steam Punk?
Keys in steam punk jewelry

That should be an eye full :-) and self explanatory . Welcome back.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:41 PM
Banned

Steampunk is the giving of modern technology the look and feel of Victorian era "early industrial" look. The concept was originally (as I understand it) it that most technology in human history has a cycle which includes a period where the technology is expressed in a very high end, artistic fashion. Modern technology "never got the chance" to be classy and stylish, so folks started making modern items but using wood, brass, exposed gears anything that would create a sense of intricacy and style.

The issue became when kids started taking apart REAL Victorian antiques to make jewelry and modern items look old.
THAT is actually what started The Victorian Sweatshop (my collection traveling tour) Showing kids at steampunk events what they look like when working to hopefully generate a sense of respect and admiration that might protect future "scrapping"

I personally prefer THIS type of stuff...
http://www.datamancer.net/steampunkl...punklaptop.htm
Old 04-09-2015, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by SteveH View Post
I personally prefer THIS type of stuff...
http://www.datamancer.net/steampunkl...punklaptop.htm
Yaay! I had that site bookmarked for so long and lost it, awesome to see that laptop again. I love good steampunk and that laptop is a classic.

On a different note, I found another one of those awesome Singer Pincatcher sewing machines!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:46 PM

I'm glad that someone likes it because I certainly don't.
What I see is people "taking about/tearning up perfectly good items and making them look like trash.
But then the wife says I have no appreciation for art.
She's a potter, well used to be a potter, and made all sorts of functional things.
The truly "artistic" pieces seemed like a waste to me.
I like the old sewing machines and their various pieces and parts, but when they take them apart and make something else from them, that's a waste of good SM parts.

Maybe I spent to many years working in Engineering, maybe I'm just too old to "get it".
Old 04-09-2015, 07:16 PM

I think those of us who truly appreciate the functionality of the vintage/antique machines have a hard time wrapping our brains around the "creativity" of the repurposed ones.

I have the same problem with layers of paint on an oak dresser. Never did get it all out of the grain of the wood. It was painted and cutesy decals added sometime in the 40s or 50s since we got it (used) for my little brother's room in the mid 50s. I tried to restore it in the 70s when my boys were little. Ended up looking like a bad whitewash or "antiquing" job. Very sad. But we used it anyway. They didn't care what it looked like. Lol!