Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Using boards to sandwich & baste quilts?? >

Using boards to sandwich & baste quilts??

Using boards to sandwich & baste quilts??

Old 04-06-2015, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by azwendyg View Post
I use the board method for sandwiching and just LOVE it. I even added my own "feature"; I covered my boards with flannel so that the quilt top and backing don't slip around on them when I start to wrap. I've made a set of 12' boards and have done quilts 11' wide using this method. It's very accurate and makes things so much easier to handle! By the way, I spray baste with 505 instead of pin or thread basting. It goes pretty fast and the quilt sandwich holds together just fine for FMQing on my domestic machine.
Thank you for this, I spray baste too and was wondering if this would work for me.
Old 04-06-2015, 06:56 PM

I also use boards-honestly I used to hate basting, now I don't mind it at all. I iron my quilt top and backing and starch it before rolling it on the board. I use spray baste and pins to hold everything together. This actually made the quilting process easier for me, as my quilt sandwich is now super flat. Highly recommend it. I have two sets of boards, a shorter set for twin and smaller, a larger set for queen size. The dudes at Home Depot will cut boards to length. I got the small set to start and try it,meant back for the larger Ser two weeks later!
Old 04-06-2015, 10:08 PM

I covered my boards with wadding/ batting. I can the pin fabric on to make a tight first roll. My first roll kept coming undone. I love this method and with spray adhesive 505 job done in no time.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by SandyinZ4 View Post
I can't find your tutorial on the board. Can you please post the link to it. Thanks a bunch!
I can't seem to find azwentyg's tutorial on Sharon Schamber's board method of sandwiching either. I would just like to see it done on a larger quilt than Sharon's video... Can anyone guide me to it?

Dina
Old 04-07-2015, 07:41 PM

Location: Asheville, previously Lake Vermilion, Tarpon Springs, Duluth, St Paul, Soudan

Here it is
http://www.quiltingboard.com/tutoria...mq-t91013.html
Old 04-08-2015, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by Krisb View Post
Thank you so much!!!

Dina
Old 04-11-2015, 07:36 PM

I thank you, too. I would have never found it!
Old 04-11-2015, 08:37 PM

I have used this method for my last few quilts and absolutely love it. Besides the basting made easier, it has helped my fmq. Since you are not stopping all the time to remove pins, my rhythm is better which means better and smoother quilting. Recommend that you should try it.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:41 AM

I have not tried Sharon's method. I've watched the video a couple of times.

Im new to FMQ, have only done one tester, a 36" sq carpenter star. I used 505 on it. It was small enough to hang on the garage wall to spray.I don't have a wall tall enough for a queen quilt.

how do you spray with the boards method? you couldn't keep the two boards tight together like Sharon shows in her video.