Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
The Machine That I Fiddled With Today >

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

The Machine That I Fiddled With Today

Old 04-17-2015, 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by manicmike View Post
I still want to get a fluorescent with a smaller bulb (so it's a little more directed): My partner can't work on the other side of the table because it's so bright - I'm sewing a black jacket with black thread so very bright is required.
I have a couple of the "Jansjo" lamps from IKEA - they are very small LED gooseneck lamps and I LOVE them for sewing. I have one that I curve the light around from the front of the machine, and another that sits behind throwing light forward. I have to move that second one to the side if I'm doing quilting rather than piecing, but that's easy to do. They have nice bright lights and only cost around $12-15 if I remember correctly. Only thing I DON'T like is that the bulb is not replaceable. If I'd realized that I might not have bought them (because I hate planned obsolescence), but I've had them both over a year with very regular use and so far they're bright as day 1.

DH also has one of the clamp-on variety of the same lamp in the bathroom, he uses it for shaving.
Old 04-17-2015, 01:02 PM

I’ve been cleaning up an abused 1959 Singer 403A. It was filthy and had some rust forming on some things, including the slide plate and the hook. I think it will end up being a good operational machine, but it won’t win any beauty contests. I’m going to run out of gas before I get all of the dried oil cleaned off of it.

Whoever used it last had the #161168 Button Foot and a hem gauge mounted on it. I’m having to come up with a zigzag needle plate, zz foot, and all of the cams for it so it will zigzag.

CD in Oklahoma
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Machine578_05.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	517199  
Old 04-18-2015, 11:11 AM

this is the challenge I unlocked today.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]517295[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG1595.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	517295  
Old 04-18-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
this is the challenge I unlocked today.
I’m constantly amazed at how ruined a machine can look, and still be brought back from the dead to at least operate properly....

CD in Oklahoma
Old 04-18-2015, 12:25 PM

a little penatrating oil ( old hydraulic fluid) and it is functional.... this one will likely get a bright paint job ...took about 5 minutes to break it loose, but all the parts move as they should.
Old 04-19-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by greywuuf View Post
a little penatrating oil ( old hydraulic fluid) and it is functional.... this one will likely get a bright paint job ...took about 5 minutes to break it loose, but all the parts move as they should.
Wow! I would love to see the finished paint job. What will do with the metal pieces? Refinish or replace?
Old 04-19-2015, 10:21 AM

Not sure yet what will occur with all the little chrome bits....if the are not too pitted to re use I will likely do "gun blue" on them using the slow rust process. It is what I intend to do to the hand wheel as the chrome rim is flaked off.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:37 AM

Default New Premier mother of pearl 15 clone

I picked up a MOP machine this morning. I thought it was a 15-1 but it has a lot of more modern (as in, 1900-1918) features. It's in pretty good condition but it's called a "New Premier" which is hard to Google: I found a VS machine but it wasn't MOP.
Pictures are here
It looks German, but that's mainly because of the font (very strong gothic) and it's very early for a 15 clone, and very late to be a MOP! Also has a rectangular base, suggesting later (than 1890).
Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Old 04-21-2015, 05:41 AM

Very neat - I think the shuttle is a replacement part, as all my Japanese "dashboard" machines have a stamping like that. I'd also think 1900-1918, it's like the "next generation" Singer 15's as the early ones have a very different shuttle/hook.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned

I agree, the Reverse is a good indicator of that time frame also

FREE Quilting Newsletter