Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
storing threads >

storing threads

storing threads

Old 05-28-2015, 06:59 PM

Default storing threads

I am up in the air on how to store my embroidery threads. Hanging on the wall I dread the fact of dust and fading from the lights. What is your best method on storing your threads in an organized matter. TIA
Old 05-28-2015, 09:49 PM

I got the "Alex" drawer unit on wheels from IKEA. Someone here showed it a few years ago and the one they showed the owner had modified it by gluing in pieces of wood to keep the thread in rows. My husband and I are not that handy so I bought spice holders for drawers from IKEA. They work better than the boxes I was using. Now I just need to go back and organize them by color. (Did it when I first put them in there but then did some sewing and put everything back in a hurry.)

I use the other drawers to keep the spare towels & aprons I plan to embroider when I need a gift in a hurry, and the hoops, and instruction manuals.

The racks I had originally bought I use when I am in the middle of a project to keep my colors organized.

Last edited by quiltingcandy; 05-28-2015 at 09:54 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 01:39 AM

I have a wire trolley with baskets on wheels that rolls under my sewing table next to me. I use clear, flat plastic boxes with movable partitions in them. Each box is for a particular type of thread and I usually store the bobbins in with the corresponding thread reel. Quick and easy to grab out when I need thread or new bobbin. I blush to admit that I got the trolley from the side of the road during a recent local hard rubbish collection...amazing what people throw away. I also picked up a pretty towel rack which works well as a quilt drape.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

You are so correct Jeanne about storing thread on the wall. They do get so dusty but I want to see what I have and not go searching the thread I need. Good Luck.
Old 05-29-2015, 06:17 AM
Power Poster

Someone posted about the I Love Lucy sewing room and if you watch on YouTube to the end, she has really great thread storage trays that pull out from under her counter. Wish I had those!
Old 05-29-2015, 12:05 PM

I have all mine on the wall on pegboards but put old fashioned tea towels over them as my sewing room is in the basement so lots of dust. I just pull off the towel when I need to look for a thread or lift it up if I know what I'm looking for. My quilting threads I have in a rolling cart and my regular threads are on yet another pegboard without a dust cover. They don't seem to be effected and its been 4 years now.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:48 PM

I have the racks that hang on the wall. I took heavy clear plastic and thumb tacks and made covers. I just need to lift the plastic. They hang on a wall away from the sunlight.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:52 AM

I bought a set of twenty plastic drawers. I also have six plastic boxes that hold thirty mini cones each. These are kept in the cupboard. The set of drawers has a cover with an opening down the front that closes with velcro. Anything that keeps the light and the dust out.
Old 05-30-2015, 04:52 AM

My big cones are in big tote boxes shoved under my bed. The cones are about 6-1/2" tall and the boxes slightly taller. The bed skirt comes to the floor, so they are well hidden. My small cones and spools are in the plastic containers made specifically for them. My regular sewing thread is in plastic multi-drawer units bought at Walmart.
Old 05-30-2015, 06:05 AM

I store quilting thread with all the quilting needles, etc. in a separate roll away in the quilting storage room. (This roll away has about 5 labeled drawers of various notions: painters tape, machine needles, pins, etc.) The embroidery thread is in its own small plastic tote along with the needles, etc.
The machine sewing thread is kept near my machine in the sewing room. My mother left me a lovely thread cabinet and it's not right at hand b/c the TV sets on it. The thread is kept clean and out of light. I have a basket on my sewing table with threads I'll be using for the project I'm working on. Bobbins are in the bobbin holders in that basket and other ones are kept with matching thread in snack baggies in the thread cabinet. This gets a jumbled mess of baggie plastic, but I can't think of another way of keeping those bobbins with the thread w/o spending $ on gizmos they sell. This all works for me. I'm not an avid quilter as some, but I need things organized!