Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labeling your quilts >

Labeling your quilts

Labeling your quilts

Old 06-24-2015, 06:02 AM

I don't label my quilts. I've bought stuff to make labels, even designed some on Spoonflower and ordered samples...but when it comes time to do it...I just don't.

I've thought about it, and I have come to the conclusion that I just don't like labels!

I don't label anything else I make. When I make a stuffed animal or a wall hanging or a sculpture or a painting or a throw pillow, I don't stick a label on it saying when it was made, who it was made for, what year, what city....nope. I just make it and give it. I don't even usually sign paintings or drawings - only time I have that I can think of is when it was something for a class that had to be handed in. I HAVE scribbled messages to the recipient on the backs of things like canvases before, but nothing formal like a label, more like a casual note. If I have a special message I want to accompany something I've made, I make a little card or tag I can pin or tie onto the item with a bit of yarn.

It's not that I don't think I'm an artist (I do) or that I'm not proud of my work (I am)...I just don't like labels on my creations.

I don't necessarily dislike labels on OTHER people's quilts - not trying to say other people shouldn't label their stuff all they like or that there's anything wrong with it. I just don't really like them on my stuff. Personal preference.

I think maybe if I were shipping a quilt off to be in a show, I might label it so it wouldn't get lost. But I'd probably try to make it something I could remove later. And I don't really foresee myself doing that anyway - my quilts are more "drag around and make forts out of it" type quilts rather than show quilts.
Old 06-24-2015, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by bj View Post
I mostly quilt for family or friends. I sign bj and the year on the back in a corner pretty small. They know who made it for them☺️☺️.
But their ancestors won't know.
Old 06-24-2015, 11:10 AM

I find the notion very romantic, that we are labeling our quilt for someone 200 years down the road who finds it in a dusty attic, so they know something of its history. That's why I do it. Granted, most (if any) of our quilts won't be that one, but . . . just in case!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
It's relatively fast and easy to add a label and I do mine as the last, finishing touch. Make them as simple or as intricate as you want, or as the occasion merits, but please try to get in the habilt of doing it. Think about that child who will someday be handed a quilt by his mother and told, "They say this was made by your great-great-grandmother back at the beginning of this century, but no one knows for sure." Let them be sure!
This is actually what prompted me to ask - my husband is on my case about labeling. And I blew him off until I thought about the quilts that we have around the house that my grandmother made (we know more about those because her daughters recognize some of the fabrics as dresses they wore and can approximate when they were made based on those), but my husband has some gorgeous ones that his great-great grandmother or great-grandmother made (or possibly some quilts were made by one and some by the other), but we know very little about the quilts, and I would love to have a label on them!
Old 06-24-2015, 01:30 PM

If anybody sees this far down - just curious how you'd label a quilt for a soon-to-be born baby girl. I was thinking I could put the last name of the parents, as in "baby girl Smith" or something...but they're not married and have different last names so I don't want to assume anything. Not sure.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:01 PM
Power Poster

Some of the earlier ones got away, but now I do all of them, in case someone a hundred years from now is interested when it was made. I put the number, the name I gave it, who it's for, my name and place I live. I sew it on the back, after quilting.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by purpleleaf View Post
If anybody sees this far down - just curious how you'd label a quilt for a soon-to-be born baby girl. I was thinking I could put the last name of the parents, as in "baby girl Smith" or something...but they're not married and have different last names so I don't want to assume anything. Not sure.
Erin, I have the same situation coming up and the same question, but didn't want to add it to my previous lengthy response. The shower is Saturday. The quilt is done and no label. I just think it makes it more special for the baby and parents but can't think of how to do it. Maybe ask the momma if I can have it back briefly after the baby comes. Probably will just let it go, though.
Old 06-24-2015, 02:30 PM

When I hand quilt a quilt, I will sew my initials or name somewhere and the year. I try to not let it be obvious.
Recently bought a stencil...am going to try fabric paint on it and fill in the pertinent info..
Old 06-24-2015, 03:44 PM

I never label my quilts. I like to cryptically meander my initials and the year into the lower right corner. Someone in the future will be fascinated with their discovery.
Old 06-24-2015, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by purpleleaf View Post
I think I would name the quilt and put that on the top of the label then write "made for a precious child" or "special girl" and then continue with made by, etc. I would definitely put a label on it though.

I always label the ones I make for gifts but around my house if I make a quilt I am usually on to the next one before I get to the label. Bad habit I know.