Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Labeling your quilts >

Labeling your quilts

Labeling your quilts

Old 06-25-2015, 08:06 AM

AZJane, thank you for showing some of your labels. Your triangular label has solved a dilemma for me, with the quilt I am currently working on.

I usually embroider the info on the binding before attaching, using the monogram feature on my sewing machine. For one wedding quilt, I also embroidered various sayings about love. It takes a while and you have to audition the binding fabric to decide if you need stabilizer (most do) but it is a neat way of making the label.
Old 06-25-2015, 08:13 AM

Most of my quilts get a label. My name, the person it is for, date made, any special info, (on their wedding date) and the name of the pattern if I used one. I print them on my machine, with a fabric that is similar to the backing, then press well, let cool, and press again. I fold the top and left side then stitch the label into the lower right corner of the quilt, then blind stitch the top and left side. Sometimes I use my lettering stitch on the machine and enter this information on the binding.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:01 AM

I label all of my quilts. If it's for no one specific I use a pigma pen and sign my name, city, and date finished. If I made it in a class, that's included too. If it's for someone particular I include their name. I even went back and wrote my grandmother and mother's names on quilts they made years ago so my family would know who made them. I have one quilt that someone in my husband's family made but have no idea who.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cari-in-Oly View Post
After one of my grandsons quilts was stolen, not only do I put a label on my quilts, I machine embroider the recipients' name somewhere on the inside of the binding. That way even if the label is removed it can still be proven who the quilt belongs to.

Cari
For the same reason, (a stolen quilt) I now put the label on before quilting, so it can't be removed without damaging the quilt. I do use my DSM to embroider them now that I have figured out how....lol! I put my name, date, and quilt title if any at the very least, the new owners name if a gift. (That way our decendants will know who made such a "primitive" quilt! Lol!)

Last edited by madamekelly; 06-25-2015 at 11:17 AM.
Old 06-25-2015, 11:25 AM
Power Poster

I really try to label every quilt that I make, especially if it is a gift, like the quilts I make for our biannual family reunion quilts. I just simply say, "machine pieced by my name, my city and state and the date of the reunion. In some instances the reunion quilts have been made in memory of a loved one in our family passing away. Even if it's a "utility" quilt for the couch, I try to remember to make a label, as I forget when, where and why I made the quilt. The label doesn't have to be fancy, I write mine out on a piece of white fabric or even muslin, using a Pigma pen. I also try to remember to heat set the label after writing it. I find that by ironing a piece of freezer paper to the back of the label helps keep the writing more legible and it will last longer. Take pride in your quilts, it is the same as signing a painting when it is finished.
Old 06-25-2015, 02:12 PM

Default labeling quilts

Originally Posted by purpleleaf View Post
Do you label your quilts? If so - could you share what you use, what info you include, and how (and when in the process - before quilting or after?) you attach it, please!

I know that every instructor I've ever had a quilting class from has stressed labeling... and yet I never do it!
I always label my quilts, unless for charity. I have read that it will give the quilt its provenence after we are gone. I have some old quilts from relatives, but don't know who or when they were made. Labels should include as much info as to inspiration, pattern (with credit to the pattern designer), name of the quilt, your name, city & state & the date. I typically use the year for dating. Labels also can help in recovery of a quilt is ever lost, & I think that can happen more than we realize. Labels can be hand sewn on the back, also incorporating it into the binding, which makes it harder to remove if a quilt is stolen, or written on the backing, which is impossible to remove. I want my quilts to have the info for the future, even if they don't stay with my kids.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:40 PM

I labeled a quilt I made for a DGD's wedding a few years ago, and now she is going through a divorce. Now she's not going to want the X's name on there. Not sure if she'll even want to use the quilt knowing it was made for the two of them. Just another angle on labels.
Old 06-25-2015, 05:44 PM

This is why I sew label on by hand so it could be removed if needed. Still no reason to get rid of that quilt someone spend some much time to make for them. I just did a wall hanging as a wedding gift for my neice. I would be upset if she gave it away down the road.
Old 06-26-2015, 11:49 AM

I found a quilt my MIL had when we moved. (She was 91 Y/O) There was no label on it. She said she remembered her Mother had it when she was a child but, her Mother didn't make it because she didn't quilt of sew. I put a label on it with as much info as I had so my daughter and granddaughters will know where it came from. I would love to know who made it and when. I feel labels are important to preserve the history of the quilt - small or large.
Old 06-28-2015, 06:59 AM

Long story:
I was very active in the basenji (kind of dog) world and then had to stop due to a car accident.
I had a brain injury but retained my love of the breed and my love, and ability, to sew. I used the kennel name Rugosa, and decided, since a lot of my stash was bought with the intention of making a basenji related quilt, to use 'Rugosa Creations" in my label, and a FMQ basenji.

I don't do it on EVERY quilt, but I try. I always put Rugosa Creations, the year, and something personal to the receiver of the quilt
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Image64.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	523711