Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Do you have a Scan n Cut - should I buy one?u >

Do you have a Scan n Cut - should I buy one?u

Do you have a Scan n Cut - should I buy one?u

Old 07-12-2015, 05:08 AM

I have the Silhouette Cameo and only use it for special appliques. Since I refuse to do raw edge, satin stitch hides the imperfections.

If I want a lot of squares etc, I use the Sizzix.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:07 AM

I so much appreciate everyone's posts. This board is awesome and I'd be totally lost without it. I am still so undecided. I have read more bad reviews on the Internet about it than good. I think $500 is a lot to spend for something I'm not sure will work for what I want it to. I know by reading that there will be a lot more $$ needed to keep up with the boards, etc. I will keep reading and researching. But thank you all so very much.
Old 07-12-2015, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
I do own one and worth every cent paid. I've used it for many different applications from applique (both raw and needle turn), paper crafting, vinyl, and wool and have not been disappointed. There is a slight learning curve and the manual could be improved upon. I notice you are from the Pittsburgh PA area so I suggest stopping in Creative Stitches Café located in Monroeville, PA. They sell the machine and are a great assistance in answering questions while learning the machine. Yes, I do keep mine in a cupboard only because of space limitations but the unit is constantly being pulled out for a project!
Thanks so much for your input ABC123 - I was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area but now live about 45 minutes West of Pittsburgh - for the summer months and Florida from mid Sept till mid May. I was at the Creative Stitches Cafe during the Western PA Shop Hop and fell in love with the owner. She is the nicest, most helpful quilt shop owner I've ever met. The main reason I am so anxious to make a decision is that if I decide I'd like to get one I would like to buy it from her....even tho I am a good hour (especially with the dang construction going on at the Parkway). I would like to buy it and take a couple classes from her before we head South - and that will be mid September. So my time is limited. I have read from a couple reviews about people that bought them from a quilt shop and can't get help because the owners/shop workers don't even know much about how to work them or help problem solve. I need to make a couple calls to a shop or to in Florida to see if there is one that sells them and does classes.

Thanks again! In what area of Pittsburgh do you live?
Old 07-12-2015, 07:04 AM

My sewing machine store, which sells both Scan and Cut and Accuquilt, advised me to focus on buying my dies for Accuquilt first then invest in Scan and Cut. She said although they are wonderful, Accuquilt is more productive for avid quilters. If you quilt, scrapbook and make crds the Scan and Cut is great
Old 07-12-2015, 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by scrapnut View Post
My sewing machine store, which sells both Scan and Cut and Accuquilt, advised me to focus on buying my dies for Accuquilt first then invest in Scan and Cut. She said although they are wonderful, Accuquilt is more productive for avid quilters. If you quilt, scrapbook and make crds the Scan and Cut is great
Thanks Scrapnut - my thoughts are that I don't plan on cutting the same pattern over and over - I'm more or less planning on appliqués that I would be cutting one time - a different appliqué for each block. Or appliqués that I would put onto a sweatshirt. Isn't the Accuquilt more for cutting a lot of a particular shape?
Old 07-12-2015, 08:43 AM

Thank you for this post PghPat. I was not aware of this product and applique is what I usually do when making a quilt. My neighbor just got the Accuquilt. It would be nice if we had both. I have to look into this.

I am also originally from Pgh. and now in Southeast PA
Old 07-13-2015, 02:30 AM

I have one. If you want to have sharp edges on your applique you have to put a vliesofix or heat and bond backing onto your material. Otherwise, the material frays as you take it off the sticky mat. As well as this you have to put the material face down on the sticky mat and do mirror image for some shapes or letters. If you put the paper side down it will stick to the sticky mat and wreck it. Once you get used to doing those things it is very easy to use. I have cut the time on monograms etc. It is way better than tracing and cutting by hand.
Old 07-13-2015, 02:44 AM

I own a Scan n Cut. Took a wonderful 2 day class. Well worth the money. I also own Accu Go cutter. Love both for different reasons. Use the Scan n Cut for raw edge applique pieces as well as needle turn. I cut freezer paper the shape, then add 1/4 inch and cut fabric. Iron on and turn under the edges. Also use it to cutt templates for glass etching, vinyl for wall art, and vinyl for tee shirts. Look at www.misskatecuttables.com for some ideas on what can be cut. Love that you can scan your designs and cut out. Also scan fabric and cut out a design from it. I think key is to have two blades, one kept for fabric. When the blade starts getting dull use it for paper or something else. If you are close to Augusta, GA check with Jeff's Sewing and Vacuum (they have a web site and wonderful teacher).
Old 07-13-2015, 04:52 AM

I'm glad to learn that they don't work on the McKenna ryan appliqués because I was tempted to get one just for those.
Old 07-13-2015, 07:00 AM

I have friends that own them. They all agree that you should take classes to help you get through the learning curve with them.