Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Washing a quilt before the binding is hand sewed??? >

Washing a quilt before the binding is hand sewed???

Washing a quilt before the binding is hand sewed???

Old 07-23-2015, 06:39 PM
Power Poster

There are threads on the QB about getting smells out of fabrics which should also work for quilts. There is NO WAY I would wash it before it is COMPLETELY finished. I had a top that was really nasty and thought that a gentle rinse in the tub would get the smell out. It did, but it also caused an unbelievable mess. In your case you depend on that little bit of overhang to hold the binding. Washing it unfinished may well (and most likely will) unravel at the edge and you won't have enough of an edge to have a tight bind.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:16 PM

I would take it back to tbe group. I hate cigarette smells and they are hard to get out.
and yes fraying may be a bigger issue. Hope they are not planning to give it to anyone sick!
Old 07-23-2015, 11:27 PM

I wouldn't wash someone else's quilt just incase of colour bleed ruining the quilt. Try frebeeze or similiar.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 AM

Try laying it outside for a day. Is you do need to wash it, do it by hand.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:29 AM

Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
I wouldn't wash someone else's quilt just incase of colour bleed ruining the quilt. Try frebeeze or similiar.
It is red, white and blue. And doesn't feel like the fabric was prewashed. That would be awful to wash it and have the reds bleed. Yikes.
It smells like chemicals, not smoke. Sorry I didn't make that clear.
I had offered to be the "binding person" in the new QOV group starting up. Sort of like teamwork. But I didn't think about other peoples quilts perhaps having odors or even scented laundry soap.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:42 AM

I would not wash that quilt! I would take it back to the owner, apologize, and explain that the fabric has obviously been treated with chemicals that are causing you to have a reaction to it. There are times when you have to bite the bullet to get to the best solution.
Old 07-24-2015, 04:53 AM

I sure wouldn't wash it without the binding being secured. I'd maybe try hanging it outside and spraying with febreze or lysol to see if I could get it tolerable to work with, if not, I'd return it to it's owner.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:37 AM

Thanks for all the good advice. I agree it's best not to wash it. I'll leave it laying around in the spare room for awhile and outside if the weather permits.
I've always been sensitive to scents. I'm a fragrance free person. I just didn't think.
I also took two kits. I started the first one at the meeting. By evening my eyes were itching. So this morning I opened the container the second kit was in. Well, it must have been in there for quite sometime. Because it had that mildew smell.
I'm going back to getting my own yardage, washing it first, and somehow quilting my own QOV. I thought joining the group would be a way to get them longarmed. But this group is really short on LA ers.
I'm sensitive. What's a gal to do?
Old 07-24-2015, 05:45 AM

I feel for you. I am sensitive also. I was tested for allergies but no allergies just smells (particles in the air?) Ear Nose and Throat Doctor told me I had a sensitive nose and I would just have to take an antihistamine before I mowed the grass. maybe that will help you get through the problem quilts
Old 07-24-2015, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Pagzz View Post
I feel for you. I am sensitive also. I was tested for allergies but no allergies just smells (particles in the air?) Ear Nose and Throat Doctor told me I had a sensitive nose and I would just have to take an antihistamine before I mowed the grass. maybe that will help you get through the problem quilts
It seems to be more about stuff that's been sitting around. Like last season's clothes in the closet, or a cloth stash(that's why i can't have one), chemicals in new fabrics, etc. I can mow the grass ok(unfortunately) And it's all about my eyes. They get goopy and feel like there is sand in them.
If I took an antihistimine I'd be flat on my back snoozing away. I can't take meds very well at all.