Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What do you do with a fabric that won't  stop bleeding? >

What do you do with a fabric that won't stop bleeding?

What do you do with a fabric that won't stop bleeding?

Old 07-25-2015, 06:20 AM

If you have more than a yard, if the fabric is cotton, if itwas expensive, if you really like the color family but don’t care about thecolor intensity, try washing in a mild solution of chlorine bleach and hotwater. Rinse at least twice. Repeat both steps until there is no color residue.Experiment on a small swatch. I’ve done this a few times with blues that ran,was pleasantly surprised at the new look and was able to use the fabric forother projects. Sorry about adding the picture...it has nothing to do with this reply! I'm new to QB...was just trying to add a profile image.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BatikQuilt2.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	526066  

Last edited by Mary433; 07-25-2015 at 06:32 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 07:02 AM

Use it for practice for free motion patterns, you can toss it and not feel bad.
Old 07-25-2015, 08:17 AM

Originally Posted by Mary433 View Post
If you have more than a yard, if the fabric is cotton, if itwas expensive, if you really like the color family but don’t care about thecolor intensity, try washing in a mild solution of chlorine bleach and hotwater. Rinse at least twice. Repeat both steps until there is no color residue.Experiment on a small swatch. I’ve done this a few times with blues that ran,was pleasantly surprised at the new look and was able to use the fabric forother projects. Sorry about adding the picture...it has nothing to do with this reply! I'm new to QB...was just trying to add a profile image.
Wow, don't apologize, beautiful quilt!
Old 07-25-2015, 08:27 AM

I haven't yet met a fabric that didn't respond to Retayne or one of its clones though I do know those products do not help with the dry crocking of indigo (i.e., the color rubs off when dry). To my knowledge, that's the only exception, just crocking and just indigo.

However, if I did have a non-stop bleeder, I would:
a) use it in a monochromatic quilt (e.g., all reds)
b) use it in a non-washable wall quilt
c) use it on greeting cards or gift cards
d) use it in a canvas mounted art quilt
e) overdye it and retest for colorfastness
f) etc, etc, etc

I would very happily rehome anyone else's perpetual bleeders since my favorite colors and fabrics are those that have a reputation for spilling their dye.

Last edited by ghostrider; 07-25-2015 at 08:31 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 09:52 AM
Power Poster

It's so sad when this happens, especially after spending our hard earned money on good fabrics. I was given fabric by a friend, who purchased it at a reputable quilt shop, who also sells fabrics online; the fabric with black background I thought would bleed, didn't, but a much lighter green background fabric did. I kept rinsing and rinsing about 6 times before I got it to stop bleeding, I wish I had remembered some of the color catchers recommended here on the QB. You just never know, and it's unfortunate when it happens. if you've tried several times and it still bleeds, using the fabric as a drop cloth, or to cover machinery or other tools would be my only recommendation, except maybe for dog beds.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:09 AM

I just set it aside to use in a red quilt. Too cheap to discard fabric....
Old 07-25-2015, 11:26 AM

I make quilt sandwiches with it to use for practising FMQ designs
Old 07-25-2015, 11:30 AM

Color Catchers and Synthrapol are not intended to stop loose dyes, they merely keep what's already come loose and is floating in the water from settling on and 'recoloring' other fabrics. That they sometimes 'appear' to stop bleeding after multiple washes is only because the fabric had shed all of its loose dye anyway.

Retayne and its clones are the only products that actually set the dyes used in today's fabrics. Salt and vinegar worked many years ago on old dyes, but not on the newer ones used today. It's all based on the chemistry of the dyes.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:01 PM

Get rid of it. The tote bags are a good idea though. But warn anyone using them to wash separately.
Old 07-25-2015, 02:14 PM

First I would email the manufacturer and tell them your problem. Maybe they will have a solution. If they don't respond, I would toss it.