Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
How do you keep unassembled blocks from fraying during long-term projects? >

How do you keep unassembled blocks from fraying during long-term projects?

How do you keep unassembled blocks from fraying during long-term projects?

Old 08-18-2015, 04:00 PM

Default How do you keep unassembled blocks from fraying during long-term projects?

I am getting ready to start a quilt that will have over 6000 blocks (about half of those are HST, 20% 9 patches plus a bunch of 3 strip sets to make short and long rail blocks). I expect this to take a while and won't rush it.

As I amass my blocks (25 3.5 inch blocks will make up a 15 inch finished block but I want to make all the individual blocks before I do any construction of the main blocks), I'm wondering what I can do to keep them from fraying?? I am using medium dark florals with white as my back ground fabric and I can already see a nightmare brewing with dark colored frayed fabric strand. I will be starching but the starch feeling wears off pretty quickly it seems.

What do you do in these instances?? Thanks.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:10 PM

starch them and store in pizza boxes, handle as little as possible before assembling.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 08-18-2015 at 07:13 PM. Reason: language
Old 08-18-2015, 04:11 PM

First of all, minimal handling. Secondly, starch the fabric before cutting (but then, you said you already do that). This is what I do to avoid handling the cut pieces too much: As I cut the pieces, I stack on something that can be used as a tray to transport the pieces from place to place. (I cut on my dining table and carry to the sewing room where I lay them on a table.) I keep the heavy cardboard squares that come in packages of scrapbooking supplies. These make wonderful trays. I also use them for laying out my block before I begin to assemble them.

Oopos! Seems like we had the same ideas.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:55 PM

When I work on a large quilt that will take time, I assemble the components to make several blocks (say 1/4th the quilt) and place them in plastic dishpans. I have four that I use as temporary storage. They stack into each other so the fabric pieces stay neat. I assemble the blocks 1/4 at a time also, just in case I decide not to make a large quilt. I don't assemble the full quilt till I have all the blocks made, so if I run out of any fabric, I can mix it in one of the batches and around the quilt.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:13 PM

As others have said, once cut, handle as little as possible.

I use numbered paper plates with the block numbers written on the bottom. I stack the plates on top of one another & then put in either plastic Ziplock or fabric bags (the fabric bags sheet sets come in work great).

You could always soak them in liquid starch solution, but I seem to do fine with just heavy spray starch. Also, on rare occasions, I will pink the edges. They even sell 45mm pinking blades for rotary cutters.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:25 PM

l hope you sew up a test block from scraps before completing all this cutting & partial assembly! l keep mine in plastic project boxes ( Michael's), l use the 13x13 x3" ( aprox) , but use whatever size suits you. Fray check any really bad ones, but starching & little handling as others have mentioned works.Sometimes l keep sections of my partials on my big design wall.
Are you using good quality fabric? l seldom have that much trouble unless it's a lose weave, or if it's a poly/cotton blend.

Last edited by stitch678; 08-18-2015 at 05:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2015, 06:56 PM
Power Poster

I keep partial blocks in Ziploc bags. Keeps the cut edges from rubbing against each other and I also use lots of starch on both sides of the fabric before cutting.
Old 08-18-2015, 07:34 PM

I just avoid handling more than absolutely necessary. I've had a OBW as an on and off again project for almost 6 years. It gets dragged out 3-4 times a year and I finish a row and then put it away and there is no sign of any fraying at all
Old 08-18-2015, 07:44 PM

[ATTACH=CONFIG]528161[/ATTACH]

I love these Iris Scrap Bookking boxes from Michael's for wip. There are about 12 inches square, so they may not be big enough for your 15 inch blocks.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	sb0929-u.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	528161  
Old 08-18-2015, 07:58 PM

It's easy for me - I don't make quilts with 6000 blocks. It would never be finished. I'm just too impatient.

But I can't wait to see your epic quilt!