Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What long arm quilting machine is the best? >

What long arm quilting machine is the best?

What long arm quilting machine is the best?

Old 07-10-2015, 12:03 PM

Default What long arm quilting machine is the best?

I am thinking about getting a long arm, what machine is best and do they automatically come with a frame?
Old 07-10-2015, 12:29 PM

You will receive a lot of different answers to this question.
The most expensive are probably the best but it depends on your budget.
I recently bought an HQ Avante and the frame came with it. I'm very happy with it. My previous was a mid arm Bailey and I would not recommend it but there are others here on the board who are happy with theirs. Again, as with most things, I really think you get what you pay for.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:15 PM

There are tons of threads on this topic. I made my budget and fit the machine to my budget and it has worked fine. If you are loaded with $ by the top of the line you can get. There are many opinions concerning this question.
Old 07-10-2015, 02:42 PM

You can buy a long arm with or without a frame, but most dealers bundle the LA and the frame and other accessories.

I have a HQ16 that I bought used in 2010. It works great; I have had no problems with the machine whatsoever. The operator (Me), on the other hand has often created problems through carelessness.

Carelessness usually means I'm tired or don't feel well, but quilt anyway. Maybe someday I'll learn...
Old 07-10-2015, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

It's a big investment. Everyone is going to reply that the machine they have is the best brand. You need to decide what is best for you. A good way to do this is go to a major quilting show. Many Long Arm manufacturers are there and you can try many different models. You also need to look at what dealers are in your area for ongoing support. Very often they come bundled with a frame, but not always.
I have a handi quilter. It's the best
Old 07-10-2015, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

I have an HQ too!
Old 07-10-2015, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

The best one is the one you try out ( after many test drives) fall in love with and decide.... This is the one for me. There are many good reputable longarm machine manufacturers, and just like buying a car, to me a Chevy might be the best, you might think a ford is, its the same. You need to research and try out as many as you can then decide what you like, and can afford. It is a large investment, not one to be jumped into without researching
Old 07-10-2015, 05:30 PM
Power Poster

There is no "best" machine. As CKcowl and Paperprincess said, what is best for you may not best for me. And I don't necessarily agree that the most expensive machine is the best. Most people who invest in a LA research for at least a year before making a decision. Even then I have seen many LA quilters switch brands after many years of LA quilting. For example Angela Walters had a very bare bones Gammel and she has now switched over to HQ. I've also seen many switch over to Innova.

You need to decide many things before jumping in. For example do you plan on doing this as a business or only for your own quilts. If only for yourself, there may not be much point in getting one of the big "industrial duty" machines. Are you planning on doing hand guided LA quilting or buying something that is computer driven? Do you want to do show quilts? Do you want a basic mechanical machine you can perhaps work on yourself or do you want something that is all electronics, and you have to go to your dealer if anything goes the least bit whacky on it like the new Bernina LA where you can't adjust your own timing, adjusting the tension is done on a computer touch screen and the stitch regulator doesn't run encoders on the rails but is an electronic sensor with a laser eye? It is a gorgeous machine but too many high tech things to go wrong IMHO. Believe me you want to be able to tweek now and then. Have you even tried LA quilting to know if you like it? How important is it to have a rack you can modify and put hydraulic lifts on so you can sit at the machine with a saddle stool instead of standing at it. What quality is the rack? Do you want to have to adjust the take up roller as you advance the quilt or have a dead bar so you don't have to adjust the take up roller? As the others have said, you need to make a list of your wants and don't cares, set a budget and then go to a few major shows and try out as many machines as you can. And remember, just because you buy a certain brand doesn't mean you will be able to quilt like the award winning quilters who own that particular brand.
I have an Innova and its the best! for me
Old 07-10-2015, 05:39 PM

Innova is the best for me also. Try some out at quilt shows if you can (it's easier to compare).
Old 07-10-2015, 06:13 PM

I started with a paff grand quilter 9" throat and a grace frame and bought the up grade carrage. I have quilted about 50 quilts with it. Then I decided to up grade so I got a 26" gammill used and frame and I like it. I have the paff and grace frame for sale. Nothing wrong with it.