Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Pieced backing >

Pieced backing

Pieced backing

Old 08-31-2015, 08:13 AM

If your backing is exactly x" larger on all sides than the batting (you can add muslin borders beyond the actual quilt back, just make sure the back is centered accurately), and the batting is exactly x" larger on all sides than the top, then you should be able to align the back with the front by making sure the excess batting and backing both stay at that x" measurement on all four sides. Dense basting helps immensely. Disclaimer: I've never done this technique larger than a 60" square lap quilt, but it did work out very well in that case.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by annesthreads View Post
Are you quilting on a home machine? Does the additional bulk of seams on both sides ever give you any problems?
Yes, I have quilted several (over 50) pieced back quilts on my home machine and never had a problem with thickness of extra seams. I have a Juki and it is pretty powerful straight stitcher.
Old 08-31-2015, 09:12 AM

Default quilt pattern?

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I piece a lot of my backings. Usually with leftovers from the top. However, I quilt on a LA so have no issues with bulk when hitting an area with all those seam allowances. This is something you may wish to also take into consideration. As far as perfectly lining up the back to the front, I have never done it successfully. I am always a bit off. I would never attempt to do a double sided quilt where blocks need to line up exactly, however it has been done with great success. I prefer to not give myself the headache so my pieced backings will be completely different design than the front as in this example.
Here is the front:
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529238[/ATTACH]

And this is the back
[ATTACH=CONFIG]529239[/ATTACH]
Would you please share the name and source of this pattern? It is beautiful!
Old 08-31-2015, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I piece my backings all the time. In fact I've never made a quilt that I didn't have a seam in the back. The back has always been quite different from the front however. I wouldn't try to match the front to the back. You do want your seams on the back to be as straight as possible however. When sandwiching your quilt if you mark the batting and the backing with the center edge and the center middle of each piece it helps to match things up. I use a frixon pen or you can run some basting stitches as reference points.
To match up the center which you can't see through the layers try taping two straws to your table in the shape of a cross to mark your center point. You'll bee able to feel the lump through the fabric layers depending on how you are basting layer the the quilt together. You'll be able to see the center markings on the edges. Since I glue baste I put my batting down first and then lay the backing over that and then fold the backing back to put the glue on half the batting and then do the other half. In any event the straws keep me on track to keep the centers together.
Thankyou so much - this is very encouraging, and there are some great ideas, especially marking the centre middle and edges and using the straws for the centre - love it. I also intend to try putting the batting rather than backing down first - am wondering huff that might be a bit easier.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
If your backing is exactly x" larger on all sides than the batting (you can add muslin borders beyond the actual quilt back, just make sure the back is centered accurately), and the batting is exactly x" larger on all sides than the top, then you should be able to align the back with the front by making sure the excess batting and backing both stay at that x" measurement on all four sides. Dense basting helps immensely. Disclaimer: I've never done this technique larger than a 60" square lap quilt, but it did work out very well in that case.
Thanks Ghostrider. I was thinking about this today. I don't usually worry too much about how much bigger the backing and batting are than the front, but I just realised that if I went for an exact easy recent it would make it easier to check the positioning of top and back.
Old 08-31-2015, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I love to piece my quilt backs but I never try to match up designs or seams with the front---that would drive me crazy. I may coordinate the back with some leftover blocks and fabrics from the front but in a much simpler overall design. The quilting stitching focuses on the front piecing and just "falls where they may" on the back!
This quilt is for me, which makes it a bit easier, because I can live with imperfection! I'm sure the guests who'll have it on the guest room bed won't notice anything beyond the (bright) colour scheme - luckily I don't often have a quilter staying!
Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by Jeanne S View Post
I love to piece my quilt backs but I never try to match up designs or seams with the front---that would drive me crazy. I may coordinate the back with some leftover blocks and fabrics from the front but in a much simpler overall design. The quilting stitching focuses on the front piecing and just "falls where they may" on the back!
This is what I do too. I ditch all of my long straight seams on my DSM before quilting it on my Sweet 16 and to date have always done a Custom quilt design (vs an edge to edge). I haven't had any issues with either machine handling bulky seams. I love making a pieced, interesting back, but I don't worry about where the quilting from the front will land. I do attempt to line up my back square to the front, by marking centers on both but that's as fussy as I get. I think the backs still look awesome, even if the quilting runs a little skewed on the back.