Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Lighting for Sewing Room >

Lighting for Sewing Room

Lighting for Sewing Room

Old 09-05-2015, 07:01 AM

Originally Posted by Sunflowerzz View Post
I truly agonized over this also. I finally bought two chandeliers and switched out the globes that I liked better and then added the Cree LED bulbs and had hubby hang my improved swag right over the top of the cutting table which is in the center of the room.

Works great for me but then it is a smallish bedroom, closet doors are usually shut but I was just scrounging around in there looking for something right before I took the pics HEHE

Yes, I see the dust....We just ripped all of the carpet out of the house and it truly made a mess, It is on the list of things to do...
I love my Cree light!! I have one at each chair I do handwork in. Here they are almost $25 each but would love to have them all over my sewing room. If you get a ceiling fan with lights in your room, make sure the light shades tun down for more direct lighting. That said, I would consult with your lighting guy (Home Depot?) as they have new stuff coming out all the time. But basically you want a whole room (ceiling light) and a task light at each "station" where you are working.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:11 AM

I love the Ott lights and have one on the floor beside me and a desk one that shoots light from behind the machine. I also have a light attached to the side of my machine. Easier to get sewing and seams correct the first time with good lighting.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:44 AM

I had my husband install florescent lighting and then use the 'daylight' bulbs. My room lighting now is very much like being outside. I also have two windows, one on the north that my sewing machine that I used to piece the tops sits under, and one facing west that the sewing machine that I use to quilt the sandwich sits under. I'm really happy with this lighting. I have also learned to keep my window blinds open during the day to allow more light in the room. I also close them at night because the closed blinds make my light brighter at night.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:47 AM

I have florescent, and love them, I need plenty of light . I didn't think the track lighting would give me the light i wanted.
Old 09-05-2015, 08:53 AM

DH put track lights around the perimeter with lamps shining from it to where I work. I still cast a shadow on my cutting table. I have task lamps by my main sewing machine that I can move from machine to machine. There is never enough light.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:00 AM

I have can lights in my sewing room with one pendant light over the machine area, and I truly love them. Before, I was always standing in my own shadow, but now the lights create overlapping arcs that prevent that. I use LED spots in them and have had no problems at all.