Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room >

Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

Old 02-05-2015, 02:23 PM
Power Poster

Default Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

I'm sitting here looking at the sewing table. (same room) It is nearly empty except for the machine and cutting mat. I realize that I am constantly clearing away things, and then later have to get them out again. But I just don't like to walk in there and see fabric and other stuff piled on the table. The snowman project that I am working on just now, is in boxes because I want to make sure that everything is there when I'm ready to sew.

Am I a fusspot or just nice and neat?
Old 02-05-2015, 02:27 PM

No you are not alone, I have a really hard time working when things are a mess. We just had some paintng done and one of the rooms was our bonus room where I sew. I thought I was keeping it clean and picked up but once everything was in the middle of the room what a mess. I did some rearranging and some purging and it looks a lot better. When i do sew I try to tidy up when I am done so I start with clean space.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:40 PM

I like things put away too. My sewing table is the 1st thing anyone can sit things on when they come into the house and it seems to attract "stuff". I hate it! I seriously need a hall table...
Old 02-05-2015, 02:52 PM
Power Poster

It's a problem for me. Put it all away, need it again. Leave it out, looks messy. I have been working in the dining room. Had to clear it all out for painting. Will have to put everything back because that is the only place for it. It's not the fabric, but the machines I have "acquired" and the attachments and the notions. those seem to intrigue me more lately than the actual sewing.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:18 PM

You're just neat. I try to keep each project in it's own bag, box or bin so they can be put away if need be. That's because I always have more than one thing going at the same time. It gets out of hand on occasion though and I have to stop and tidy up before I can continue. I think I'm pretty organized but am always looking for new ideas.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:50 PM

I work better and can concentrate better when every thing is nice and neat. I have a large spare bedroom that is my sewing room. When I quit for the day, I can just leave everything as is, and pick up where I left off the day before.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:55 PM

I Clean up when I am done with one project, and in between times I organize tools and notions and threads I fold the fabrics I am using and leave on the table I cut on.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

I thrive in my clutter. Several project going at one time. There must be at least seventeen quilts on my design wall in every stage development. But I am neat. Each project gets it's very own laundry basket and every part of the quilt goes into it including the pattern so when I feel like working on any one of my UFOs, it is all ready to go.

I keep a tray on my coffee table filled with all the hexies I am working on and it is always there and ready.

I have sets of tools at each station , sewing, cutting, ironing and they never leave. I never put anything away but everything has it's place.

I you like things neat, so be it. There is nothing wrong with neat.
peace
Old 02-05-2015, 04:17 PM

You would have a heart attack if you saw my xxxsmall sewing room.Most everthing in it's place but when there's so little room it always looks messy.......
Old 02-05-2015, 05:08 PM

I like things neat, but I usually have several things going on at the same time so I have piles of stuff all over. My room is just too small! In a couple weeks my new big room will be ready and I'm hoping to keep things more neat and organized.