Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room >

Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

Don't Like a Messy Sewing Room

Old 02-05-2015, 11:53 PM

I thrive on organized chaos.....always have... My sewing room is my dining room, and everything is stored on the 3 season porch off the dining room. I usually have 3-4 projects going at one time so I'm constantly moving things in and out! I would love to be super organized, but....never going to happen!! I do admire those who are though!
Old 02-06-2015, 02:25 AM

I'm with you. I need work in a neat space, so I always clean "as you go".
I'm lucky I have a dedicated space to sew and quilt so the things stay put where I left them but usually I like the room neat and nice.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:06 AM
Power Poster

I thrive in my clutter too. When I start putting things away, I CAN'T FIND where I put things away the next day!! SO FRUSTRATING!!
Old 02-06-2015, 05:28 AM

I am a neat freak as well. I don't mind messy when I am working on a project but when I am done for the day everything is put away. I am the same way at work. My desk is full of papers during the day but when I leave for the day everything is put away and the desk is cleared.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:51 AM

I'm pretty organized, but my sewing room is small and it doesn't take much to make it look messy. I do not pick up at the end of the day, as it is a spare bedroom converted, so no one sees it but me. Even the pups are banished. I hate clutter though, so try and keep things to a minumum, but leave out ruler, rotary cutter (doing D9P and I would have it all messed up if I cut all at once) iron, necessary sewing supplies etc. until the project is done. Otherwise I spend too much time looking for things again, and less time sewing.
Old 02-06-2015, 05:58 AM

After reading this, I've decided to get rid of the small table in my sewing room (which has some stuff under it, and upcoming projects piled on top) and put a pile of totes there. They can hold my UFO's. I'll keep each project together in a large plastic bag (not sealed) in those totes so that when I come back to work on it, the fabric needed is right there and has not been used for another project, or somewhere else so I have to spend a lot of time finding it again.

I have to keep certain projects (and the materials that go with them) together for teaching classes.

I also have a list of "projects-in-waiting" hanging on my curtain. It's easy to see there, and I can tell what I have that I might work on next.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:15 AM

I am addicted to plastic containers. All sizes, shapes, even colors. Piles of them sometimes. The appearance is not elegant but it does all the jobs I need doing and it keeps Maddie and The Moose out of trouble. (Ragdolls.)

Pat
Old 02-06-2015, 06:47 AM

My DH probably wishes I was more like you, but I'm pretty much the opposite. I'm a total cutterbug and I feel very comfortable in my mess!

I blame my upbringing. Mom has (I believe) undiagnosed OCD and so I have leftover anxiety whenever I'm someplace that's really clean and organized - I subconsciously expect someone to swoop in and start screaming at me and slapping my hands if I dare move anything.

SO...my sewing room is my messy happy place. It's busy and cluttery and yet at the same time it's actually very clean and organized - I keep up on the lint-bunnies and the pet fur that sneaks in past the baby gate, I don't eat or drink in there, I wipe down my machines and my cutting mat regularly, I have bins for all my scraps... But "stuff" is welcome to hang out in the open with me, I have my piles of paperwork and fabrics and work-in-progress always left out, and I know exactly where everything is in there. To me, my clutter tells me this is a place that's "safe" for me to be creative and it stops the back of my mind from expecting someone to come and be angry at me for creating all these snippets and loose threads.
Old 02-06-2015, 06:55 AM

I love when I get my sewing room tidy because I feel super energized and creative. So where does that lead? To making a new project with new messes! Vicious, addictive cycle!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:56 AM

I thrive in my messy space also.I think when I put it all away my mind thinks I'm done with it.
So,my space is messy.My house is somewhat messy too.But,that's how I roll.I think if it is left out my brain organizes the next step or colors or something else as I'm working on something else.Because sometimes it's setting out because I'm stuck.Sometimes just because I love the color,pattern,the event I bought it at,ect....Sometimes I just leave it out.Like I said "Just how I roll".