Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Man did I hit it big , But also sad about it. >

Man did I hit it big , But also sad about it.

Man did I hit it big , But also sad about it.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:00 AM

How great, and how sad. Lucky you for getting all of those beautiful quilts, how sad for a family that didn't want them.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:12 AM

WOW! Some people just aren't into these things and while it's a bit sad, here's another way of looking at it: I am a Goodwill shopper. I found some interesting hand-painted summer plates that I use for friends who come over for breakfast on Friday mornings. The dishes have delightful summers on the lake, etc. scenes. One says something like Memories of Pine Lake." Someone at the table said they had a friend living on Pine Lake and he'd ask if he knew an artist who may have lived there, sure 'nuf, he did and thought the work very well may have been done by her.well I gotta tell you, I just love them and so does everyone else. The artist is now apparently in a nursing home, but I wish I could tell her that her work is very much enjoyed and appreciated. So it doesn't always have to be family who takes things in. These plates will create memories of great breskfast mornings with friends for years to come.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:21 AM

I have,a one woman prayer quilt ministry and would love to have the chance to buy from you. Btw...beautiful quilts!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:36 AM

Amazing quilts and all so pretty. I am wondering if maybe there is a quilt club near you that might want to get together and quilt them for an organization...adults from the patterns. Maybe to Hospitals for wounded warriors, etc. Another idea might be to raffle them off for a donation to an organization. Surely, there is one in the group that you would want to keep. Another idea might be to have a group quilt and donate back to the person who gave you all of them. There are so many ideas. You can't just let them sit in a closet. Another idea might be to see if there are friends on here who would accept one to quilt and donate to a needed organization in the family name of who donated them. Come on friends, come up with ideas on how to get these quilted. I would love to quilt one for the Wounded Warrior organization. Let me know if you get offers like mine. Message me if interested. I would take #'s 1, 4, 6, 7, 9, or 13
Old 09-09-2015, 05:38 AM

OOPS! Not all of these, just one. Sorry, I got carried away. ha ha
Old 09-09-2015, 05:40 AM

Good night!! Oh my word! What a gift & it is sooo sad to think that no one in family wanted these gorgeous (made with lots of love) family heirlooms!!! Some people! Well, you could give to charities, your family... Check out thrift stores for maybe sheets for backing (to save $) & buy batting when on sale. You could tie the tops to save $ too. Good luck!
Old 09-09-2015, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
Well at least one person in that family had a little bit of sense!! They went to a person who they thought might appreciate what their predecessors had created. Each and every one of those quilts and tops is absolutely lovely. I really hope you find a way to 'spread the joy'. You have been given an incredible gift and it would be a shame if it was not passed along.
I agree! So many times, the family doesn't know what they have and things like these tops are thrown away. I am so glad they went to you and that you appreciate them.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:41 AM

They are all great, but I love the 8th one (it just talks to me - OK I shouldn't talk about the voices - lol). I know that I would be happy to help you finish one, just as I'm sure others would too. I know that I have used bolts of fabric that people have given me (polyester and wool), from family of sewers who passed and the family didn't know what to do with it. Family's don't always know the difference between sewing cloths and quilting, they think fabric is fabric. Because I up cycle every chance I get, I've used wool and even the polyester from the 60's as batting. I live in an area with a lot of elderly people downsizing, so garage sales are all around. I have even picked up large amounts of both polyester and wool for very little (because others didn't want to mess with it or didn't like the colors), but when I see someone having to sell something that they loved doing because they can not do it anymore I feel I have to get something. Even if it's only going into the middle of something else, it's still found a home and I have helped put a smile on someones face. You can PM me and I will be happy to help.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:36 AM

I'm glad that they gave them to you. They need to be finished eventually. It would be a shame not to. Perhaps a local quilt guild would take a couple with the stipulation that they be completed for charity.
Old 09-09-2015, 07:54 AM
Power Poster

How sweet for you, but, man this is like a horror story to a quilter. Not one in that family cared enough to have them finished? Wow.