Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures
Man did I hit it big , But also sad about it. >

Man did I hit it big , But also sad about it.

Man did I hit it big , But also sad about it.

Old 09-09-2015, 12:47 PM

What a wonderful gift. I just love the green double wedding ring quilt. I would be happy to hand quilt it for you. If your interested let me know.
Old 09-09-2015, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by debbieoh View Post
My charity quilts are either baby size or lap size to twin. These are way to big for the places I donate to.
Debbieoh, Maybe someone else has already suggested this, but why not cut some of these down to a more manageable size? If you quartered one of the larger ones, would they be more like the size of your charity quilts? And if there's a quilt group near you, as a project they could take one or two, cut them down, and make some charity quilts.

Just a thought.

Tate
Old 09-09-2015, 02:21 PM

Debbieoh, please don't think it is selfish that you are having the one you love, the Trip Around the World, finished for your self. You deserve to have the one that you love. I'm sure the quilters who made these would want someone to love them. In the long run, you will end up putting a lot of thought and effort into these quilts, deciding what to do with them, etc., so enjoy! I would say they came to you for a reason.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:42 PM

I would get in touch with any guild, they usually have hand quilting members, our guild does and could finished them and raffle them for charity, they are all so beautiful!
Old 09-09-2015, 03:57 PM

Just to put a different spin on things, but how do you all know that the family members didn't all ready have quilts made especially for them by mom and grandma? When my great-aunt died many years ago, they found over 30 finished quilts lovingly wrapped up in the attic. All the adult family members had all ready received quilts from Great Aunt Ella while she was still alive, so the new found quilts were spread amongst the next generation and the local nursing home. I was about 4 then, and I wore that quilt down to the yarn ties holding the layers together.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:12 PM

Lucky you! Glad they did not end up at GW.
Old 09-09-2015, 04:43 PM

HOLY COW!!! What a goldmine. SO nice of them to think of you. I may be wrong but seems like the king would cut up to 4 small lap quilts. I got 7 tops from my MIL before she passed and am still quilting on them. She said she was bored and would like to have some quilting to do. I took her up on it and took her 3 lg trash bags of scraps and some big pieces. I'd never turn down a quilt top. hehehehee BTW she loved it , being able to stay busy.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:26 PM

These quilt tops are beautiful. Congratulations! You have had a ton of wonderful ideas from all of the quilters on here. It is very sad to me that the family didn't want them but they might have had their reasons. Nobody knows for sure. If you want all of them can't you just finish one every month or two? They don't all have to be finished right now. It looks like there are some here that would like to buy one also. If you sold a few then you could finish a lot of them with the money you receive. Good luck with whatever you decide
Old 09-09-2015, 07:37 PM

I'd definately buy one, finish it not suRe which charity it would go to but would be honored!! Let me know price maybe could buy 2 but on ss too...
Old 09-09-2015, 08:22 PM

You might think about taking the larger ones apart to make 4 smaller quilts. Just add flannel or sheeting as a backing and tie them for donating to the VA or a children's hospital or whom ever else you wish. A discount store had dark colored king sheet sets on clearance for $15 last spring - that is a lot of fabric. I have used sheet sets to back several quilts & have had good results.

Sad for the family that did not treasure them, happy that you received and appreciate them.