Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What's your favorite thing to make and for who? >

What's your favorite thing to make and for who?

What's your favorite thing to make and for who?

Old 09-14-2015, 05:40 AM

I actually just quilt for the enjoyment it gives me.
Old 09-14-2015, 05:59 AM

I love making baby quilts. They don't involve a lot of fabric, so I can purchase or use my stash, practice new piecing techniques and then practice my FMQing. When I don't have a recipient in mind, I donate to my church for charity, a win, win, IMHO.
Old 09-14-2015, 09:55 AM

I love making baby quilts, over the years I made a quilt for any teacher who was expecting in the school where I used to work, I worked there for so long I started to make quilts for the grandchildren too. I also give quilts to people who I know would really appreciated them. I love to see their faces light up.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:01 AM

I enjoy making small "give aways". I mean really small. I love making little tissue covers. They are very fast and very inexpensive (I buy the tissues at he 99 cent store) I put them in baggies and always have a couple in my purse.
I love to just give away. Sometimes if a see someone crying at church or a bad case of drippy nose I just reach in my bag hand them one. I've given them away to clerks in stores and restaurants as a way to say thank you for good service. I don't believe I've ever had anyone say "no thank you". It is such a small act of kindness, but it always puts a smile on faces. I love doing it. Try it, you'll love the warm fuzziness from doing it.

Last edited by dellareya; 09-14-2015 at 10:04 AM.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:04 AM

Another vote for baby quilts.

I just love that I can make the entire quilt from start to finish & don't have to farm out any of the work. I really enjoy doing lots of hand applique. It's a great portable option for me, or the perfect pick-me-up even when I'm under the weather. I'm finishing a quilt for my 3-year-old niece soon & then will make some quilts for sale before I start on one for my nephew (due Feb 11th) that will be a white whole cloth that I plan to hand quilt. I picked the easiest pattern, but am still worried I may be taking on too much.
Old 09-14-2015, 10:44 AM

Default Why I make quilts.

Originally Posted by Wanabee Quiltin View Post
I actually just quilt for the enjoyment it gives me.
I make at least 20 quilts or blankets each month for our local Linus Project. At least half of them are pieces of colorful fleece that I crochet a decorative border around with yarn. The rest are usually childlike prints or panels that I layer with batting and use flannel for the back. I basically machine quilt them. It has been my experience that the average child who receives a "Linus" quilt has a family or caregiver who has no idea how to care for a "handmade" quilt. The machine made ones will hold up much better to the washing required to keep a kid's drag around quilt at a healthy level of "clean". For my own personal gift giving, for those who are aware of how to care for a "real" quilt, I do machine piecing and handquilting.
Old 09-14-2015, 12:44 PM

I love making quilts and little give aways (like mugrugs, tablerunners, tobacco bags and so on) for family memers. Right now i am doing a quilt for an Auntie and her daughter to put on the sofa or in the cabinet or wherever they wat it to be. They are the last ones on my list. I guess, after that one I will start the second round. In this way they all can change the quilts when they change their mood
Old 09-14-2015, 01:38 PM

I make and give quilts, but sometimes like to come up with something "different" to make. Right now, I am making the NCW wallets and am excited about giving those out during the holidays. Got a load of fabric in the laundry right now for some of those, because sometimes I have a terrible time getting the stabilizer to fuse correctly. Hope this solves the problem.
Old 09-15-2015, 05:11 AM

NCW ????? Sorry. Not familiar with this acronym.