Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Crazy Quilts >

Crazy Quilts

Crazy Quilts

Old 03-02-2007, 09:13 AM

My husband says trying to pet me is like trying to pet a rattlesnake, scary, but exhilirating. Ain't he sweet. I guess I'm not. Nor am I little, Sharon. I got you beat by 2 inches and probably 100 pounds. HA!! :shock:

I think quilters are spicy and saucy and full of vitality. And we are all kings and queens.
Old 10-31-2007, 01:41 AM

In reply to the question posted first in regards to the 9x9 block for the crazy quilt. The block is a base piece to attache the crazy piece to. But U can do it anyway you want. There are no quilt police. I use a base piece to keep my odd and end pieces from stretching, It keeps the piece from being all cattiewanpus, in other words odd shaped. I use various fabric. To date I've made three. I make them personal, I do embrodiery, various trims, applique, and bead work. I also go with a color theme. Am I following rules NO. I also attache charms, pertaining to the indivual's likes.
The 2 I'm working on now are special requests, all stemming from the queen size crazy quilt I made for my self. So for me a crazy quilt comes from the crazy person designing it. I love foo foo, so thats how I lean, but not trashy, I have a good rythm with it.
Old 01-17-2010, 05:19 PM

I have to brag. I started a crazy quilt with muslin as the base 17 years ago. With many starts and stops it is about finished. Will be done this winter hopefully. I am ribbon embroid on the black velvet sashing. Vines and roses.
Can't wait to finish.
quiltingmom86
Old 01-17-2010, 09:01 PM

I buy clothing at local thrift store during their $___ a bag sale and pick up old clothing made from cuordory (different wales ?? spelling), velvets, unique embroidered or appliqued items, etc to use in crazy quilts. You can get some neat stuff for crazy quilts by doing this. Also pick up velvets, Cuordory, laces, ribbons, etc from scrap bins and clearance section at fabric stores.
Old 01-20-2010, 05:13 AM

when my grandmother made cq 40 years a go she used newpaper for the backing i don't remember if she took it off when she got done like paper piecing or not also another idea old ties are great for using in quilts
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM

I've acquired tons of velvets and silks from clothing from garage sales - cheap! Chop it up and make crazy quilts.
Old 01-22-2010, 04:55 AM

old neckties are also a good addition
Old 01-22-2010, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ
Key Word is CRAZY :wink:

NO RULES. no worries. no stress. and certainly no rush.

:mrgreen:
that's my thought too