Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Gammill Statler vs Innova AutoPilot >

Gammill Statler vs Innova AutoPilot

Gammill Statler vs Innova AutoPilot

Old 09-30-2015, 06:19 PM

I have a Gammill Classic Plus (SR) without robotics. When I was researching, it was between Innova and Gammill and I got a good deal on this used machine and knew it's maintenance history. I've been very satisfied. I belong to a long arm guild and we had panel on the robotics--pros/cons, adding to our machines, etc. Seems that those with robotics seldom did any FMQ and those that did not start without robotics did not feel that they could/would learn FMQ. One thing that those that had robotics said was the switching from robotics to hand guided was not just flipping a switch, but involved little more than that and wasn't always timely. Those that custom quilted said that they did not use robotics as uber large shows have separate categories and their customers did not want the robotics. Several that used robotics only did E2E with them, although others said they would do some intensive programing (either on their own or with purchased designs) and have very elaborate designs. Bottomline from several of them is that the extra cost of the robotics pays off if you are doing many E2E quilts for customers. And one quilter/long arm tech said if you have the clientele to justify it, your best bet is to have 2 machines--one for FMQ and the other(he suggested used, with electronics needing repair cause when he installs robotics on a machine it usually results in rewiring anyway)setup to be working on overall designs at the same time. Bottomline for me was I do not have the customer base to justify the extra expense and love FMQ too much to give that up!
Old 09-30-2015, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Girlfriend View Post

The thing I didn't like about the Innova is how flimsy the frame is. You cannot, whatsoever, lean on it. I also did not care for the software program.
Are you positive you don't have this confused with some other brand? The Innova frame is EXTREMELY strong and doesn't appear to me to bend or flex at all. I have a shelf installed underneath the back section and have stored some fairly heavy things there. My 10 foot frame is still as straight as the day it was first installed a few years ago.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:08 PM

Default No Way flimsy

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
What?? No way. The Innova frame is made from Airplane grade aluminum and is rock solid! I lean on mine and use it to help heft my sorry butt off the floor when I crawl underneath to check stitches. I put a lot of stress on my frame and it is solid. It is also set up so that you can customize it. You say you rent, so this leads me to believe that your rental place may have the machine head set up on something other than an Innova frame. The frame was in my top 5 list of why I went with Innova over another brand.
I was reading along to everyone's posts until I saw mention that Innova's frame is flimsy. NO WAY. I must agree with the statement above. It is rock solid. While I'm typing away here I might as well chime in. The Innova is so smooth and featherweight. I usually only use one hand to move it around. I also agree that you should really just get the basics to start out with and then you can progress to the automatic. MQR is great and much cheaper than the rest too. I think when you start off with the mechanical you cheat yourself from learning how easy it can become to just trust yourself and keep practicing. So satisfying once you start trusting yourself. Watch all the videos you can and sign on to Craftsy to learn some techniques for long arm machines. Just MHO
Old 10-02-2015, 10:53 AM

Wow, this thread came along just in time for me. I am in the market to purchase a new long arm. I have the HQ 16 and want a bigger throat space and robotics. I have been looking at the Innova but not the Gammill since it is so high in price. But my question would be on a 26" is it hard to pin your quilts on? I am only 5 ft and really have to stretch to get to the back bar to do my pinning.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by Nettie View Post
Wow, this thread came along just in time for me. I am in the market to purchase a new long arm. I have the HQ 16 and want a bigger throat space and robotics. I have been looking at the Innova but not the Gammill since it is so high in price. But my question would be on a 26" is it hard to pin your quilts on? I am only 5 ft and really have to stretch to get to the back bar to do my pinning.
I'm 5'2 and don't really have a problem. Also, the frame is adjustable, so it can be sized to you. Of course, it also has hydralic lifts as an option, but if the frame is set up properly, you shouldn't have a problem.
Old 10-02-2015, 11:30 AM
Power Poster

I move to the back of the machine when pinning to my take up roller. I can't imagine trying to stretch across to pin from the front. I am 5' 4"
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

Just roll it further to the front bar or do it from the back.
Old 10-05-2015, 07:26 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
I move to the back of the machine when pinning to my take up roller. I can't imagine trying to stretch across to pin from the front. I am 5' 4"
Yes, this and I am 5'7".