Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is your favorite Fusible? >

What is your favorite Fusible?

What is your favorite Fusible?

Old 09-29-2015, 07:08 PM

Wonder under and Heat and Bond Lite. Regular H & B is not intended to be sewn through.
Old 09-29-2015, 08:54 PM

For cotton fabric, I love Pellon's Wonder Under. For wool, I'd go with H&B Lite.
Old 10-01-2015, 02:29 AM

I especially like Steam a Seam. It comes as Steam a Seam 2 or Lite Steam a Seam 2, which is for shear and light weight fabrics. It is a double stick fusible web and is available by the yard, in sheets, and also in 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch tape. You trace, stick, cut, peel and place and then press once you are sure of your placement. Your appliques sticks in place and is repositionable until pressed with an iron, press only once for a permanent bond. I favour it over other products I have used over the years.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:08 AM

I use only Heat and Bond Lite. If you ever make the mistake like I did the first time I bought Heat and Bond, and got the Craft Heavy Duty one, you will never forget and do that again. You want to talk sticky needle, I would get two stitches and have to stop and clean needle, ad nauseum. Thank goodness it wasn't a large applique piece.
Old 10-01-2015, 05:44 AM

I buy the Wonder Under because it is easy to find and the price is right HOWEVER I do have problems with it.Maybe you smart women here can help me. It does not hold a complete fuse.Holds enough that I can work with it. I have tried pressing more and pressing less but neither works well.Do I need to prewash fabric?(UGH)Saleslady said she didn"t. Dee
Old 10-01-2015, 05:57 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by deeleigh View Post
I buy the Wonder Under because it is easy to find and the price is right HOWEVER I do have problems with it.Maybe you smart women here can help me. It does not hold a complete fuse.Holds enough that I can work with it. I have tried pressing more and pressing less but neither works well.Do I need to prewash fabric?(UGH)Saleslady said she didn"t. Dee
I just did a search - and the only thing I could find was "Do not use fabric softeners" with this product.

I "think" I read somewhere - but of course I can't find that somewhere right now - that fusibles do stick better to washed fabrics (with NO fabric softeners) than unwashed fabrics.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Betty J View Post
I especially like Steam a Seam. It comes as Steam a Seam 2 or Lite Steam a Seam 2, which is for shear and light weight fabrics. It is a double stick fusible web and is available by the yard, in sheets, and also in 1/4 inch and 1/2 inch tape. You trace, stick, cut, peel and place and then press once you are sure of your placement. Your appliques sticks in place and is repositionable until pressed with an iron, press only once for a permanent bond. I favour it over other products I have used over the years.
This is my preference too. I've used others but this is my favorite.
Old 10-01-2015, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by deeleigh View Post
Yes, I'm afraid so, and prewash with no fabric softener. Prewashing gets rid of all the surface chemicals that inhibit the bonding of the adhesive. Here are some proven tips.
http://artfabrik.com/tutorials-2/fusing-tips/
Old 10-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Power Poster

Thank you for the link.
Old 10-01-2015, 08:36 AM

Originally Posted by Betty J View Post
This is also my choice, have had problems with wonder under with seeing the grid pattern of the fusible on some of the appliques.