Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double wedding ring pattern question >

Double wedding ring pattern question

Double wedding ring pattern question

Old 10-13-2015, 12:20 PM
Power Poster

I used John Flynn's acrylic template. I didn't finish the quilt because it was too much piecing and sewing on the arc had to be perfect. I probably can go back now that I am a much better quilter during the last 15 years, but I have no desire. Too many more fun charity quilt to make.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:38 PM

I took the Craftsy class and bought the DWR Craftsy kit which I have not used yet. Class was very good but I like the looks of round rings better than the squarish ones and I decided I would like to use acrylic templates. I like the non slippage feature of the Creative Grid templates and they can be used with Judy Neimeyer patterns (on my to-do list someday) so I bought them. The DWR Craftsy kit only has 7 different sections(fabrics) in each 1/4 ring and CG has 8. CG has the markings for the individual sections but not the templates. Recently, there was a post here Downton Abbey DWR (do an advance search) and that person just adjusted the CG to use the 7 fabrics. It is beautiful and now I'm anxious to start mine. I have also seen on YouTube the CG used and the 1/4 rings done in solid fabric rather than pieced. Easier and lovely too. Good luck!
Old 10-13-2015, 05:55 PM

I made a DWR quilt with the Sharlene Jorgensen templates. I used a jelly roll for the arches because I wanted it scrappy. I think it took 2 jelly rolls with some left over. I found it very difficult, but I did get the top finished. I made the little pieces that fit between the footballs and arches all the same color. I thought it would be easier--it wasn't. I don't want to discourage you, and it turned out very pretty, but I think I had a few more grey hairs by the time it was finished. I need to sandwich it and quilt it (bought stencils for the quilting). Right now it resides with my other UFO's and watches me work on other projects and makes me feel guilty. It is a very nice wedding gift, but personally, I am keeping mine for myself. I have a lot of work invested and I think that make the value at least $1000.00. I would post a picture but I don't know how.
Sue
Old 10-13-2015, 05:57 PM

I've made four of these . . .here's two. I used Jelly Rolls in all four quilts . . .and the Quick Curves Ruler as well as the QCR pattern, Metro Rings. I found it rather difficult the first time . . .but the other three went together in under a week.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	387
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	533336   Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	363
Size:	463.0 KB
ID:	533337  

Last edited by ClairVoyantQuilter; 10-13-2015 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-13-2015, 06:27 PM

Good luck. What a nice gift.
Old 10-13-2015, 07:34 PM

Originally Posted by yngldy View Post
This company has a pattern called Metro Rings. You have to buy the ruler, but the ruler also makes other patterns. They have a book that will be coming out this month that uses the ruler and has many patterns. They are also on youtube. http://sewkindofwonderful.com/

Sorry to repeat, while I was looking them up Mike's girl commented to them!! Glad to hear someone else likes them too!
^^^^^^
That was my suggestion. This ruler is made for jelly rolls. I've made three and they are quick, easy and look great. We'll worth the money.

I purchased the other template set - I started one 8 years ago and it sits in its box and mocks me.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:30 AM

ClairVoyantQuilter - your quilts are gorgeous! thank you so much for sharing

Thank you all so much for your input! My big hope is to be able to make each of my sons one when they get married (IF they get married ) I will be using my nephew as a guinea pig to see if it would even be possible

susie-susie-susie I have not doubt the quilt has a value of $1000 perhaps more!! If you figure out how to post a picture I would love to see it
Old 10-14-2015, 04:37 AM
Power Poster

I have a book called
http://www.amazon.com/Rings-That-Bin.../dp/0967789443
It is supposed to be easier that way.

But I am looking at one made with a cutting die like Sizzix Double Wedding Ring or an Accuquilt die.

I have not done the Quilt in a Day one but I am sure it is easier and I think it is appliqued.
https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponli...lay.asp?i=2052

Last edited by Annaquilts; 10-14-2015 at 04:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 04:47 AM

Jorgensen and burns are great patterns....or if you have, or know someone,-- the GO dies are great. Ebony love has a tute on you tube showing how to assemble the rings....that seems to be the toughest part, but her tute is good...she uses GO, but template cut pieces would work too.....use it as a leaders/enders....not so intense that way....I would like to try one too...
Old 10-14-2015, 05:15 AM

I made one years ago using a template that I don't remember the name right off hand. Last year I have made one using my GO dies and followed the tute by Ebony Love. Ebony's tute was so easy to follow. Like Geri B stated, you could use any template and follow Ebony's tute. I WILL be making another DWR sometime this year or next - it was that easy. I never thought I would say that after doing my first one!