Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double wedding ring pattern question >

Double wedding ring pattern question

Double wedding ring pattern question

Old 10-13-2015, 06:47 AM

Default Double wedding ring pattern question

Hello.. my nephew is getting married in July 2016 and I am playing around with the idea of a double wedding ring quilt for a gift. I have never made one but I am looking at the templates that are available and those give me courage to go for it.

My question is about the templates. Have any of you used the templates? The ones that I have seen don't call out dimensions of the individual pieces. And that is what I am wondering

I would like it to look a little scrappy and thought a jelly roll would be nice because then I wouldn't have to worry because the fabric will all work together. I know I will have to buy yardage for the background, but would jelly rolls work for the rings?

Please let me know what you think

Thanks
Old 10-13-2015, 09:05 AM
Power Poster

In Judy Niemeyer's video she uses a 4" wide piece of fabric for cutting her rings, so my guess is that a jelly roll would not work with the templates from Creative Grids (assuming that you wanted to cut the entire ring from one piece of fabric). It might work with another template set. Her is the video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0pjTVmoz8U
Old 10-13-2015, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

I"m using one that shows a pieced arc but sew strips together and then cut with the curved template. I got sidetracked and still have more to make one day. I will have to get my mind around it again when I do.
Old 10-13-2015, 09:39 AM

I know Marti Michel has a set of templates for the DWR. I almost purchased it after seeing it at the Atlanta show. IT was a unique quilt in that the center almond shape was not white, it was a paisley. Beautiful. Each piece would be cut individually. There are also some paper piecing directions on the web. If you start looking at them, you'll notice, some make circles and some make squared circles. The Marti Michel one makes truer circles. So it would be personal preference.
Old 10-13-2015, 10:15 AM

dunster - thank you for the link I will have to watch more closely when I get home, but the templates that I saw had several individual smaller blocks to make up that arc

nativetexan - I will look around for what you are talking about, but it could be similar to the Judy Niemeyer one that dunster provided a link to

toverly - thanks for the tip I will google Marti Michel and see what I can find out
Old 10-13-2015, 10:20 AM

have any of you used these?

http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NJ29PO...I29HFGGHEOGAQP
Old 10-13-2015, 10:46 AM
Power Poster

https://www.quiltinaday.com/shoponline/book/55293

I've watched Eleanor burns use her method on her show. She puts her shoes on line free if you want to look for it
Old 10-13-2015, 11:08 AM

The quick curve ruler by sew kind of wonderful is great. I just took a class and it makes piecing a dwr so much easier. I will probably make another one using this ruler. I recommend it highly.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:13 AM

This company has a pattern called Metro Rings. You have to buy the ruler, but the ruler also makes other patterns. They have a book that will be coming out this month that uses the ruler and has many patterns. They are also on youtube. http://sewkindofwonderful.com/

Sorry to repeat, while I was looking them up Mike's girl commented to them!! Glad to hear someone else likes them too!

Last edited by yngldy; 10-13-2015 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-13-2015, 11:42 AM

I made a DWR quilt for my daughter using the Sharlene Jorgensen templates. I cut out all of the pieces and put them in a pizza box and when I got a few minutes to sew I got an arch finished. It went fast and it was fun. One good thing with the small template pieces you can use different fabrics in the arch. Good luck on your adventure-I am sure you will do fine.