Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Double wedding ring pattern question >

Double wedding ring pattern question

Double wedding ring pattern question

Old 10-14-2015, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
Hello.. my nephew is getting married in July 2016 and I am playing around with the idea of a double wedding ring quilt for a gift. I have never made one but I am looking at the templates that are available and those give me courage to go for it.

My question is about the templates. Have any of you used the templates? The ones that I have seen don't call out dimensions of the individual pieces. And that is what I am wondering

I would like it to look a little scrappy and thought a jelly roll would be nice because then I wouldn't have to worry because the fabric will all work together. I know I will have to buy yardage for the background, but would jelly rolls work for the rings?

Please let me know what you think

Thanks
myert - If you want to make your DWR with pieced arcs, yes, you can use jelly rolls.

One thing to keep in mind before you buy templates: the smaller the rings, the more you will have to make of them. The pattern I bought with the Craftsy kit had large rings, about 20" I think, and required only 42 rings for a king size quilt. My Creative Grid templates make rings just over 17", so I had to sew an additional 14 rings for the same size quilt. I believe Marti Michell's templates make similarly sized rings; Sharlene Jorgenson's templates are for 15" rings; and I believe the Accuquilt Go rings are about 12". (These sizes are for a complete ring, the first one in each horizontal and vertical row; of course, the rows are completed by partial [smaller] rings.)

In case it might help anyone, I posted the steps I followed for my quilt, using the CG templates, in the Tutorials section.

Daffy
Old 10-14-2015, 07:13 AM

Have you thought about using the fusible foundations? Check it out here http://www.quiltsmart.com/khxc/index...bleweddingring You can use jelly rolls with this method
Old 10-14-2015, 07:50 AM

Sorry, but what do shoes have to do with a DWR? Confusion here.
Old 10-14-2015, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
I think she meant to write "shows."
Old 10-14-2015, 09:21 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by carolynjo View Post
Sorry for the confusion. I meant shows.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:42 AM

http://slightlyoffquilter.com/wp-con...-Tutorial1.pdf This looks like an easy way to do the double wedding ring.
Old 10-14-2015, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
Have you thought about using the fusible foundations? Check it out here http://www.quiltsmart.com/khxc/index...bleweddingring You can use jelly rolls with this method
I used a similar technique(came up with my own version) for one. I found it fairly simple but it is a time consuming project. Give yourself plenty of time and you will do fine
Old 10-14-2015, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by mckwilter View Post
I was gifted with a large quantity of these panels. It will be my next quilt that I make for me. (Got a few gifts to finish first) I figured when I was done with mine, I would offer any extras here.
Old 10-14-2015, 01:09 PM

Thank you all so much for all of your input, tips and links! I have some research to do now
Old 10-14-2015, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by meyert View Post
I made table runners with them. I wanted to try them before I made the queen size bed quilt...the quilt never got made! They work okay but are hard to get the points perfect. I still want to try Eleanor Burns method, it looks interesting to me.