Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main > For Vintage & Antique Machine Enthusiasts
Now look what you've done!  I may be getting cranky.  :) >

Now look what you've done! I may be getting cranky. :)

Now look what you've done! I may be getting cranky. :)

Old 10-12-2015, 04:34 PM

Default Now look what you've done! I may be getting cranky. :)

Reading the threads here, I'm quite intrigued by the posts about hand cranks, and how well folks like this option. (Although I can't quite fathom feeding fabric in the left hand while controlling speed in the right.) I did a thread search here for "converting to hand cranks." Read up a bit. Then found the link to sewclassic, along with the tutorial on converting a solid wheel to hand crank. Pretty sure my 128, Christina, has a solid wheel. Peeked under her bentwood case - nope! She's got a spoked wheel, along with those 2 separate wire Chicago/Manhattan connectors. Definitely adding the hand crank to the Christmas list!
Old 10-13-2015, 03:26 AM

I have a Singer 201 handcrank and I love it! The feed dogs feed the fabric through so straight that it is easy to guide it with only your left hand. I took it to my guild for vintage machine night and everyone was fascinated at how easily they could sew a straight seam with only their left hand on the fabric. I do hope you will "get cranky" - you will love it!
Old 10-13-2015, 03:36 AM

I've wondered about that too. My 201 and 99 are very easy to guide and seams are very straight. It might have to do with the narrow foot and the flat bed; it's easy to get a point to focus as it stitches along, and there might be less drag and interference o the feed with the flat bed.
Old 10-13-2015, 05:54 AM

I've put a crank on my Red Eye. The cranks you buy now are not as well make as the originals, but they are available. By the way, the Red Eye did not have a spoked wheel; you can buy those also. We changed the wheel to a spoked wheel.
Old 10-14-2015, 12:52 PM

I love hand cranks, join in a have fun.
Old 10-18-2015, 09:42 AM

I have a hand crank for my Singer 221 featherweight. It's a lot of fun to use and comes in handy if I want to sew somewhere where there's not access to electricity.

The only problem is that adding the handcrank requires a little bit of fiddling with the handwheel that then makes it not able to be used as an electric powered machine. When I want to use it without the hand crank I have to spend 15 or 20 minutes removing the handcrank and re-aligning a couple of parts in the handwheel. Don't know if that would be true of your machine or not.

As far as guiding the fabric goes, I find that because handcranking is much slower than using electricity so it's not difficult to keep fabric properly aligned with my left hand while cranking with my right. I also have only used the handcrank when pieces smaller quilt blocks, I've never used it for actually putting a whole quilt top together--don't know if I'd have the patience to do that in slo-mo LOL
Old 10-19-2015, 05:28 PM

Original hand cranks and the common reproductions mostly produce three stitches for each turn around, so you move along at a good clip. They are an absolute delight to sew with, and on fussy quilt piecing give amazing control.

Once my Singer 128 cranked machine attracted attention at a sewing meeting.....one lady being convinced it had to be plugged in somewhere. Many people seem nervous about even attempting to sew this way, but it is not a problem. With a battery powered light you could sew anywhere.

Dianne in Colorado
Old 10-19-2015, 06:17 PM

If you are on FB you should be able to follow this link and see my husband using my Kenmore hand crank
https://www.facebook.com/calkinsart/...type=2&theater

and here is our grandniece using the Singer 28 hand crank
https://www.facebook.com/calkinsart/...type=2&theater

He takes his Singer hand cranks to teach art at a high school and at 2 art centers. He also uses them for his art such as the quilts and dress sculptures that he is known for:

http://www.calkinsart.net/2015/html/quilts2015_2.html

We now have several hand cranks:
2 Singer 28s, the Kenmore, a German Anker and a Singer 12. A year ago we had none
Old 10-22-2015, 06:47 AM

[QUOTE=Gray fox;7350036]Original hand cranks and the common reproductions mostly produce three stitches for each turn around, so you move along at a good clip. They are an absolute delight to sew with, and on fussy quilt piecing give amazing control."

I'm not sure how many stitches per revolution my converted 221 does, but it still isn't as fast as when she's in electric mode and I put the pedal to the metal and let her fly--I just can't crank as fast as I can pedal LOL!!!!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:29 AM

rryder, it sounds like your 221 crank doesn't have the gears needed to move along quickly; it's likely you are getting one stitch for each revolution. No wonder you can't crank fast enough! But, still, when or where there's no electricity it is a nice to have option.

Dianne