Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Your Best Piecing Tips for Accuracy >

Your Best Piecing Tips for Accuracy

Your Best Piecing Tips for Accuracy

Old 10-22-2015, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I get perfect Y seams by avoiding them like the plague! Congratulations on your huge weight loss!
Gonna use this hint!
Old 10-23-2015, 05:22 AM

I find that my piecing improves when I SLOW down!
Old 10-23-2015, 06:43 AM

Just remember that starch draws silverfish. ASk me how I know!! Magic Sizing does not. I agree with the starch making piecing easier, but those creepy crawlies are icky!
Old 10-23-2015, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by francie yuhas View Post
Gyleen Fitzgerald teaches an easy,perfect Y seam....she calls it a butterfly seam...check out her approach on her web site or FB.

Gyleen's "butterfly seams" method was life changing for me when it comes to Y seams. I was in the "avoid at all costs" camp until I tried her method. (The only way I could get them right before was by hand sewing the seams.) Now I can do perfectly matched Y seams on the sewing machine. Yay!!!
Old 10-23-2015, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the question, Valerie. I, too, avoid Y seams whenever possible. Some good tips here.....
Old 10-23-2015, 10:26 AM

I recently pieced a quilt with many small pieces and a gazillion points to match. I haven't learned how to paper piece. When I learn, I am sure I will wish I had learned sooner. Anyway, I pieced these pieces accurately by pencil marking each seam a scant 1/4" clear to the edge of the fabric so that there was a crossing point at each corner. The marking takes time, But saved frustration when the points matched as I assembled the quilt.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:40 AM
Power Poster

Am I the only one who likes Y seams? They do not phase me one bit. Must be the drafter in me.

I found that I do much better on the 1/4" seams since I bought a 1/4" foot for my machine. I had one with the fabric guide but that created oversized seam allowances. Now I take care to get the foot aligned properly and I get good seams every time.

When I run out of this particular thread, I am going to switch to 60 weight for the bobbin. Every little bit helps to decrease the seam bulk.

I also had to make friends with my rulers. The Olfa (black and yellow) take a bit more attention to get the cutting line aligned properly. It took me a while to train my eyes to look at the gaps between the yellow lines and make sure the skinny black line was spot-on.

When I cut multiples of a size, I cut my strips at a multiple of that measurement. Example: If I plan to cut 2 1/2" strips and I need 5, I cut the first cut at 12 1/2" then subcut at 10, 7 1/2, 5, and 2 1/2" That way I will not experience scope creep by adding just a little bit on every cut.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:26 PM

I am sure that I over starch and over press, but in the long run when I am happy with the results, its keeps me doing it again. Since learning the recipe for Best Press, it isn't all that expensive and I love the finish I can get with it. Sure makes bias edges easier to control
Old 10-24-2015, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by ClairVoyantQuilter View Post
Y seams not withstanding . . .i used to struggle getting 1/4" seams . . .tried various feet, etc. then, an experienced piecer pointed out, it could be my thread and machine needle. Sure enough, my needle was too large . . .it displaced the threads in the cotton weave . . .and my thread, too thick, was keeping the cotton weave displaced by filling the gap the needle made.

I switched to Schmetz Microtex 70 needles and 50wt Aurifil thread and my seams have been spot on since.
I also use microtex needles or sharps for quilting - I learned this by accident years ago when expressing to a quilt shop owner my trouble with matching points even when I nested thing together PERFECTLY! It made a huge difference...as did switching my piecing thread. I make a lot of "show" type quilts that will never be used and I generally use a thin poly for piecing now adays rather than the thicker cotton I used way back when I started. I have yet to try it, though some day soon I plan on ordering a few cones, but I hear wonderful things about Aurifil's 50 wt. cotton. Thanks for your tips!!

Originally Posted by citruscountyquilter View Post
I really like Kaye Wood's tips and techniques. Here she demonstrates her method of doing a Y seam. I used this making a quilt that had tons of Y seams in it and it worked like a charm.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLkHfcuNzCA

She has lots of other tips on being accurate as well.

To get my points to be pointy in a pattern (like in triangles, stars etc) I put a pin through the point and then through the fabric I'm sewing it to. Most of the time it is 1/4" but not always as often there is just enough give in fabric to be a little off at that intersection. I make a mark on my fabric that I'm sewing the point to with a Frixon pen where the pin comes through and that is my seam guide when I go to sew my pieces together. Perfect points every time. Even if the seam on the backside isn't perfect who will notice.
LOVE Kay Wood - truly! I will check out her section on Y seams. I actually don't mind them so much either until the pieces get very tiny and the fabric becomes very high contrast! Seems there is always room for improvement and folks are always coming up with better faster way to do things so I'm always listening, watching, and learning!

Thanks so much for all of the great advice! You folks are the BEST!
Old 07-17-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by tessagin View Post
I love to do "No tear" paper piecing with freezer paper. Really liking the results. You can go to YouTube Quilt n Bee.great demo.
I too enjoy the "no tear" freezer paper piecing method. Worked my Picasso Sunset quilt (NY Beauty type blocks) using this method. Introduced it to my sister (new quilter) and she mastered it quickly.