Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Free Motion Quilting --- >

Free Motion Quilting ---

Free Motion Quilting ---

Old 11-03-2015, 09:18 AM

I always stop in the needle down position and then when I start up again I don't move my fabric so basically I'm stitching in the same place again. After this I then move my fabric to start quilting. I found this greatly reduces that first stitch after stopping and rearranging from jumping where I don't want it to go.

Another thing that really helped me was using the speed control on my machine to set the speed and then I could just press on the foot pedal and go and I only had to worry about the speed that my hands moved the fabric. I have a sweet spot for me on the speed control that I've made a note of. If you don't have a speed control switch on your machine then you have to control the speed with your foot by how hard you press on the foot pedal which is certainly doable because I did it before I got my new machine but it's just easier if you don't have to worry about the speed and concentrate on just moving your hands.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:23 AM

Not any one method works for everyone. I found that having my feed dogs up works best for me.
Old 11-03-2015, 01:03 PM

I leave the feed dogs in place and don't change the stitch length--I use a FMQ foot which means there's no pressure on the feed dogs (on my machine anyway). If you're moving the fabric, then you're determining how big the stitches are--the stitch length shouldn't matter. That's the way it seems to me anyway, but it could be that the tension is affected somehow; I don't know--it doesn't seem to be on my machine--Brother Innovis 4000D.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:19 PM

I spent the afternoon practicing my free motion quilting . Do you know what I've come up with?? I need more practice! Thank you for all your tips. This quilt board is so helpful.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:45 AM

Way to go and start to finish those Ufo"s! Leah Day is a wonderful free-motion quilt teacher online. She teaches to keep the feed dogs up so that is what I do! I am happy you are having fun. I am a beginner also. Happy Free-Motioning!
Old 11-04-2015, 05:20 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Hmmmm... she also recommends using the Supreme Slider. I wonder how she keeps her Slider from getting chewed up by the feed dogs.
I believe I read on her site that she clips out a space on the supreme slider to fit over the feed dog area. I also FMQ with the feed dogs up, use a 'slippery' product for the fabric to glide over, and cut out an area for the feed dogs. Leah has some wonderful tips and hints for free motion quilting and I find they are all so useful. Love to FMQ now...one of my favorite parts of quilting.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:23 AM

Three things have helped me become better at FMQ. Keeping the feed dogs up (against the machine manufacturer's directions and my local quilt shop's directions), wearing gloves and setting the speed of the machine at medium. I don't know why it works but it does!
Old 11-04-2015, 08:02 AM

Originally Posted by pyffer3 View Post
Another question......I've noticed some of my stitches are loose and others large. Will washing draw these in a little tighter?
I'm not sure about the washing, but you are getting varying stitch lengths because you are varying your speed. For ME going full blast helps maintain an autonomous stitch length.
Also someone mention the thread moving an inch when stopping. I recently bought a machine with an automatic needle down feature, and this made that problem disappear.
Old 11-04-2015, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Bree123 View Post
Hmmmm... she also recommends using the Supreme Slider. I wonder how she keeps her Slider from getting chewed up by the feed dogs.
Since the feed dogs are only moving up and down, it should not do any damage to any slider. Kind of like poking a window won't break usually break it.
Old 11-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by peacequiltingnana View Post
Three things have helped me become better at FMQ. Keeping the feed dogs up (against the machine manufacturer's directions and my local quilt shop's directions), wearing gloves and setting the speed of the machine at medium. I don't know why it works but it does!
i do the same thing. I don't think there is one correct way. It is a lot of playing around and experimenting on what works best.