Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What mistakes (design changes) do you leave as is and which do you change? >

What mistakes (design changes) do you leave as is and which do you change?

What mistakes (design changes) do you leave as is and which do you change?

Old 11-08-2015, 06:40 AM

I usually hang up the finished top to check it over for obvious problems and will fix a turned block. But I try to catch problems with points or block construction as I make them...fixing them while relatively easy. Once it is quilted, it is done! I don't worry about the little things, most of the recipients never see the problem and I sure don't tell them....LOL! I want to enjoy making quilts, not fussing over tiny imperfections.
Old 11-08-2015, 10:00 AM

Many years ago I decided to make my first quilt. I picked out a pattern in a quilt magazine. This was the time when it was the fashion to hand piece. I made the blocks and put together the top and began to hand quilt. About a third of the way through the hand quilting, I took a good look at the quilt and compared it with the picture in the magazine and found I had put an extra square piece in each block. It wasn't exactly like the pattern. I was so disappointed I put the quilt away. Several times I almost gave it to Good Will. About fifteen years later, one day as I was cleaning out a closet, I found the quilt, looked it over and decided I really liked it and finished quilting it. I have displayed it in quilt shows and had many positive comments on the pattern. No one knows it is different from the pattern I was following. My error gave a common pattern an original twist and uniqueness and dimension that is very attractive. I am glad I didn't throw it away or change it. Of all my quilts, it is one of my favorites.
Old 11-08-2015, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by quiltsRfun View Post
When my seams nest I'm happy. When they don't, I promise to do better next time.

Old 11-08-2015, 02:08 PM

Being OCD (just a bit haha) I have to have things just right. I will rip till it is just right. Annoying to some, I know, but I want things to be just right. I love it when my seams nest, my points are right, my blocks are square. Drives me nuts if they aren't!
Old 11-08-2015, 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Deb watkins View Post
Being OCD (just a bit haha) I have to have things just right. I will rip till it is just right. Annoying to some, I know, but I want things to be just right. I love it when my seams nest, my points are right, my blocks are square. Drives me nuts if they aren't!
I am a bit like this too- especially on my bindings. When I make changes and still not happy w/it then it goes into my own home stock and I only keep a few these days.
Old 11-08-2015, 05:18 PM

If I spot it right away, I always fix it. If the top is completed and it isn't a huge 'creative' point, I have my kids look at it and see if they notice it. If they don't spot it, I can usually let it go. The exception would be if it was a very important quilt or, of course, a commissioned quilt.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:22 PM

if I see it while piecing the block I will make corrections or if I have a very unsquare quilt, but otherwise it depends on the intended use. If it's going into a show, yes--correction, if on a kids be,no. But keep in mind that I'm the quilter that had a class quilt that I named "Points? Points! We don't need no stinking points!" because it was a booger to piece and after fighting bad instructions, etc I decide it was good enough--and just did elaborate quilting!
Old 11-09-2015, 06:16 AM

I'm a bit OCD also and try my hardest to do the best I can at the skill level I am at. If I rip a point or seam twice for the same thing, I usually leave it on the third try & chalk it up to inexperience. Too many rips and I feel I am doing more damage to the material. Now that being said, I will always turn blocks if wrong, unless it is quilted, and then it is a design decision. I'm a lot easier on myself as I age. Quilting is supposed to be fun and most non-quilters will never see it. Now, if a picture is hanging crooked or the blinds are uneven, those are corrected LOL

A funny story: Our son and both his kids are like this too (he is a middle child by the way). He had just gotten through changing our grandson, almost 2 1/2, and put new pants on him. Our grandson said, "I need a new shirt too." When asked why he replied, "Because my shirt is orange and my pants are green and they don't match!"
Old 11-09-2015, 07:12 AM

With me it depends on when I find it -- usually when I press the seams open during the piecing process, so I will fix the error -- if the top is made or even quilted, that is a different situation and I may have to accept the mistake--
Old 11-09-2015, 07:23 AM

Two old quotes: The Amish purposely include a mistake, because only God is perfect. The other: If you can't see it from a galloping horse, don't fix it.
Me: if I am quilting it for me, I don't fix it. If I am quilting for someone else I fix it.