Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What to do with an oversized quilt top >

What to do with an oversized quilt top

What to do with an oversized quilt top

Old 12-17-2015, 03:40 PM
Power Poster

I would just trim it leaving a 1/4" seam line from the point (of the width you would like the quilt to be) and make the blocks cut in half become the setting triangles like I did with this quilt.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DD quilt top.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	412.8 KB
ID:	538264  
Old 12-18-2015, 05:23 AM

Is it truly too big for your bed or are you questioning how to quilt it? I recently finished a 115"X 115" Bethelem Star quilt on my Janome domestic machine 6600P with no trouble, has a 9" throat. I marked each corner and set- in pieces with patterns and stitched in the ditch the center star. It turned out beautiful. It, too, was larger than I intended,
Old 12-18-2015, 06:09 AM

I do this, make my quilts large enough to touch the flooring, and then include a border. My thoughts, and it's been proven, is this quilt will usually be on the top of other quilts on the bed...and thus it is raised up due to the underlying blankets. I used to make my quilts smaller in size, so those are the ones that go underneath my larger quilts...I have a few so I can change which one I want on the bed that week.
Old 12-18-2015, 06:29 AM
Power Poster

Perhaps you can contact this place http://www.happycrafters.net/

I believe a few QB members have used them and have been happy. They do not charge much at all for LA quilting of an all over pattern. If your quilt is oversized you will need to contact them but I bet you will be surprised at the low cost. I know I could never compete with this place. I honestly don't know how they do it so cheaply.
Old 12-18-2015, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic View Post
Perhaps you can contact this place http://www.happycrafters.net/

I believe a few QB members have used them and have been happy. They do not charge much at all for LA quilting of an all over pattern. If your quilt is oversized you will need to contact them but I bet you will be surprised at the low cost. I know I could never compete with this place. I honestly don't know how they do it so cheaply.
They do have awesome prices!!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:18 AM
Power Poster

I wouldn't cut it but would do the batting and backing in 3rds. So many backings look like strips anyway!
Old 12-18-2015, 07:37 AM

I used Happy Crafters and was very pleased with the finished product and the price !
Old 12-18-2015, 05:08 PM

Default Oversize quilt

Originally Posted by Pennyhal View Post
I made a quilt that was set on the diagonal. I made a measuring mistake. Instead of making 6" blocks, I made 8" blocks. As I was making it, I thought that it was really big. When I finished the top, it really was huge! It covered the top of my queen size bed to the floor. And I haven't even put the borders on it. I'm leaving out the borders. I was going to hand quilt it, but I'd be quilting into the next century if I did that.

Now I'm having a hard time deciding what to do with it. It would be too huge for me to handle with my domestic machine. It costs a fortune to pay to have it done. Because it's on the diagonal, I can't just rip it in half. If I rip it on the diagonal, I'll end up with bias edges of maybe 5 feet and the edges would be all wonky from ripping out the stitches. But that may be my only solution.

Any suggestions?
Hi pennypal, I may be able to help. If you want email me and we can talk. How much are you anticipating paying if someone quilts it for you? Email: [email protected]
Old 12-19-2015, 05:28 AM

I certainly wouldn't cut it! If it remains too large after the quilting, then use it as a gift for someone and a learning experience. If the quilting process is too much or too expensive, see if there isn't someone who would barter with you to get the quilting done....if she does the quilting, you will piece her next top. There are always ways to get it finished!