Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Has anyone here done oversized draperies? >

Has anyone here done oversized draperies?

Has anyone here done oversized draperies?

Old 01-23-2012, 10:29 AM

Default Has anyone here done oversized draperies?

I've made curtains for bedroom and bathroom windows for years, and did full length sheers for my living room, so it's not like I don't have a clue. But I do have some questions about doing the velvet ones for our faire booth, that has 6 openings approximately 8 feet wide by 9 feet tall and the center opening is 16 feet wide by 9 feet tall.

So here are my questions and my thoughts on the answers. Please correct me on any I could improve on.
1. What sort of rod would we need to hang these by? I'm thinking a standard wooden closet rod would work.
2. How wide a top hem should I do for the rod ? I'm guessing about 3 inches would do it.
3. How wide a bottom hem would look good? I've usually done about 4 - 6 inches for the hem at the bottom.
4. What would work for securing them at the bottom (and possibly sides) when we are closed for the day? One idea that has been suggested is having a rod or board with hooks on the end that would slide into the bottom hem and attach to eyelets on the posts. This sounds workable and would not require the use of grommets hooked over screws which is how we've secured the plastic tarps in the past.
5. How wide should the hems on the sides be? I've usually done about 1 or 1-1/2" wide side hems.
6. Will it create a problem if I do not trim off the selvages and use that as the seam finish when sewing multiple widths of the velvet together? Since these are going to be so big we are not planning on washing them either before or after making them.

That's my questions for now, will probably have more as I get farther into the project. LOL!
Old 01-23-2012, 11:36 AM

Would it be possible to secure the bottoms and side with magnets inserted in the hem . Same idea as the magnet closures in handbags.....just an idea .....you could work on different types and even get some great ideas at a hardware store......
Old 01-23-2012, 12:42 PM

I would use a telescoping rod---get it at a pool supply; it extends twice its legend. And it is strong. <o></o>
I would use upholstery velvet; it is strong, forgiving, but heavy. <o></o>
Your top hem depends on the size of your rod.<o></o>
You can have corner T’s welded to hold your cross bars.<o></o>
You should go to the flea markets [inside and outside] and see how they construct their booths, they have mastered it. There are lots to be learned there.<o></o>
Old 01-24-2012, 09:42 AM

Default draperies

I make draperies for a living. As for the rod pocket at top. It will depend on the diameter of rod using. Fold a tape over and make sure to leave enough room for take up. Better to be too big than too small and tight. A wooden rod might work but remember the velvet will have some weight to them and you do not want the rod to sag. The side hems can be a double 1.5inch turn under and the bottom usually is a 3 to 4 " double hem. I do not suggest using the selvage because it makes it pucker and pull up. If you are not going to line them, then do a french pleat so looks good on both side. To make them close, I would probably have some ties out of the same fabric and sew in side seams so you can close and tie off but when open, they would be hidden down side hem on back. You need to have some weights in corner and at seams so hangs correctly. You could even put velco or even if energetic, use a separating zipper( if you can find one that long) so you can zip up at night. Just some ideas. If you have any more questions, you can email me.
jo

Last edited by sewfun4jo; 01-24-2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added information
Old 01-24-2012, 07:03 PM

when the drapes are pushed to the sides to open the walls up, the fabric will take up a lot of space on the corners, so you might want to keep to a less bulky fabric.
Old 01-24-2012, 11:49 PM

Others have done a good job of answering your questions, but it were me, one of my biggest worries would be handling the velvet. (Perhaps you've had plenty of practice with it, but as quilters we usually don't.) It can't be ironed like other fabrics, and is very unforgiving about the direction of the nap. Maybe a crushed velvet synthetic would have a lush look without quite as many challenges. I made a floor length, princess seamed prom dress out of that one time without too much trouble. Velvet can be slippery, and perhaps a walking foot would be a good idea. I found a site that has some tips about working with velvet, but it's not focused on draperies per se. http://www.craftstylish.com/item/554...vet-like-a-pro I think I'd start by having someone hold it up across the room from you to help decide which way the nap looks better for the long expanse. It might not be the same for drapes as for a dress, since people will tend to be looking up at it rather than down. Good luck with this big project! Your booth will be truly elegant.
Old 01-25-2012, 02:03 PM
Suz

You will be unable to hem the draperies by machine as the stitch line will show and will look tacky. I suggest you face the hem by adding a strip of fabric and then hem by hand. Remember, use your walking foot. Make sure you have reduced your presser foot pressure, use longer stitches because velvet will "crawl". And, it cannot be pressed as is unless you have a needle board or you can press into a heavy towel. Could you consider using the cotton velveteen instead. It does handle a little easier. You could use binder clips on the inside to hold your panels together.

Regarding the pole question. Consider using PVC. It is strong and will have all the connectors and what you will need for corners, etc. Do not trim the selvages for the side hems. You are the only one who will see same. 1-1/2" side hem is ample. 3" double (faced) bottom hem is amble and heavy enough to hold it in place.

Gee, I hope some of this helps.