Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Most offbeat Christmas gift? >

Most offbeat Christmas gift?

Most offbeat Christmas gift?

Old 12-19-2015, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by DonnaFreak View Post
The most unusual gift I ever got was a butt warmer from my nephew's husband! It was a long sheet of aluminum that had wooden posts connected to each end of it. You hooked the post at one end through the back of a camp chair, then ran the aluminum under the chair and hooked the post at the other end in front of the front legs. When sitting outside in front of a fire, the aluminum would reflect the heat onto the back of your legs and onto your bottom. I think it's still one of my favorite gifts I ever received! 

Donna
I think you won the oddest gift contest! Prize is laughter and applause from all of us
Old 12-19-2015, 11:46 AM

I bought my DH a dinghy for our sailboat for Christmas one year. My old college roommate picked it up at a store in Detroit. Then we transferred it to my car at a U of M football game in Ann Arbor. Hid it in the neighbor's garage for 2 months. Transferred it from the neighbor's to my car on Christmas eve. On Christmas morning my DH, who has guessed EVERY SINGLE GIFT for over 30 years, only received an envelope on the tree. The envelope led him to another envelope and so on. Probably had about 10 TOUGH clues. (Sorry, but I was lovin' every minute.) It took DH 2 days to find the gift...we had to play the "getting hot, now you're getting cold" game for him to find it. He walked by my car at least a dozen times but never looked in.
My in-laws thought that I was cruel....kids and I enjoyed every minute of it. We had him searching outside and in the woods and everywhere imaginable....I have a smile on my face as i type!!!!
Old 12-19-2015, 12:00 PM

This year I got my DH a spice rack to hang on the back of the pantry door because he is always complaining about the one in the kitchen being so packed that he can never find what he wants. (It's a narrow cupboard next to the stove.) Now he can move all the infrequently used containers to the pantry.
I never minded digging thru when I was cooking, but now he is the cook and it clearly annoys him a lot. I'm so blessed that he takes over the things I can no longer manage, I want to make it as smooth as possible for him.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:16 PM

The best and most creative Christmas gift I have ever seen was given by my BFF's dad to a potential SIL of another daughter. The guy had just bought his dream car, a 1957 Chevy that he had customized. One of the things he did was add "glass packs" (really noisy muffler system?). We were always teasing him that we could hear him coming for miles. For Christmas, BFF's dad said he would get the gift for him. Imagine our surprise (and chagrin) when he opened his gift to find two of those OB tampons! Inside was a note saying they were earplugs for guys who drive '57 Chevys! Lol! Really bad taste, but hilarious in a large group setting! We all still tease him about it 37 years later!
Old 12-19-2015, 01:52 PM

One of my most memorable gifts as a child was when I was 6 and my daddy had just been released from the hospital after being there several weeks because of his first heart attack. Mom cleaned houses to pay the bills. That year the guys at daddy's work came to visit him and brought us gifts. I got a toy ironing board to 'iron' my doll's dresses....(a harbinger of my future love affair with fabric??) Our neighbor also gave me a sweater and my older brother, who got a part-time job to help with the bills, bought me a bracelet. I don't remember much from other Christmas's but that one I will never forget...64 years ago.
Old 12-19-2015, 02:58 PM

The first year I was married my MIL (who really was a sweet lady) gave me a floor-length, long-sleeve, turtle-neck flannel nightgown (never knew they came with turtle-necks). For a newlywed?? I still don't know if it was supposed to be a joke. I was too embarrassed to ask her. Finally wore it years later after I had 3 kids.
Old 12-20-2015, 12:02 AM

My son's wife - who should have known me by then - thought my DH giving me a steamer for floors a couple of Christmas' ago was awful. But I would never have spent the money to buy one so I thought it was great! Now I don't use it much but my DD loves it for floors - she uses it every week. Just wanted to try one but seems I don't think the floor is clean without a bucket and mop. My age is showing?
Old 12-20-2015, 01:17 PM
Swap Hosts

My husband and I decided to give each other the gift of a cemetery plot. One less thing to worry about. I think I will frame the deed with a reminder to enjoy every moment we have out of the ground!
Old 12-23-2015, 08:02 PM

My DH bought me a Furbie many years ago and said it would take to me. I did not like that thing and put it in the closet. I ask him why he bought it and he explained that if you have two Furbies they talk to each other. Some guy friend told him how neat they were and He bought me one.
Old 12-27-2015, 07:03 PM

I just gave my DH a unicycle. When I told a friend what I intended to do, she yelled, "Are you trying to kill him?!" Even the clerk at the bike shop wondered at my order. But I knew it would blow DH's mind. He has a great sense of balance and loves to ride his bikes. I knew it would be the perfect gift.