Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
What is an Open Toe Embroidery Foot? >

What is an Open Toe Embroidery Foot?

What is an Open Toe Embroidery Foot?

Old 01-19-2016, 11:07 AM

Default What is an Open Toe Embroidery Foot?

Hi, All,

Okay....stupid question, I know.......

I'm preparing for a quilting retreat, where I'm taking a five-day class on shape in art quilts. We'll be doing patchwork and appliqué. Among my list of supplies is an "open toe embroidery foot." I'm not exactly sure exactly what that is and I don't want to buy the wrong thing. My lightweight machine, which I'll be using at the retreat is a Janome MyStyle 100. I just spent some time on the Janome website and I think an open toe satin stitch foot or an open toe darning foot might be what I'm looking for, but I'm still not exactly sure. Does anyone know exactly what an open toe embroidery foot and what I'm supposed to buy?

I did try to email the instructor of the course, but got an automatic response that said she was traveling and was away from email.

As always, thank you for your help dear wise quilters!

Best,
Aso
Old 01-19-2016, 11:21 AM
Power Poster

here's a video on how to use one https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEKE1D_kmCo
here are some images of some https://www.google.com/search?q=Open...w=1015&bih=685
Old 01-19-2016, 12:16 PM

Its like the open toe darning. some are plastic and some are metal, I prefer clear plastic if I have a choice. The bottom of the foot is a circle with the front part cut out so that you can see what you are doing better. It can also be square like the open toe satin foot. Different machine companies make the differently. the youtube video will show a picture of it. All of the ones that I googled won't let you copy their pics. Google it and I'm sure you'll see lots of pictures of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEKE1D_kmCo
Old 01-19-2016, 01:51 PM

Your machine manual or website or dealer should have a pic/discription of one.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:57 PM
Power Poster

Funny, last week I was doing some buttonhole stitching on my older Bernina and decided to try this open toe which seemed to work the best. I didn't know what the foot was called until I did a search. This is what my #20 foot looks like:
http://www.thecolorfulworldofsewing....r-Bernina.html
It is easy to see if you are sewing a satin stitch on the edges of an applique
Old 01-19-2016, 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by ManiacQuilter2 View Post
Funny, last week I was doing some buttonhole stitching on my older Bernina and decided to try this open toe which seemed to work the best. I didn't know what the foot was called until I did a search. This is what my #20 foot looks like:
http://www.thecolorfulworldofsewing....r-Bernina.html
It is easy to see if you are sewing a satin stitch on the edges of an applique
I love my Bernina #20 open toe foot! It's what I use for piecing as it gives me a perfect ¼" seam when the needle is one click to the right with a nice open view of where the needle is going and keeping the full width of the seam allowance on both feed dogs so there's no slippage. Add to that it's general ease of use and clear vision and it's a perfect foot for art quilts, appliqué, miniatures, paper piecing, and anything else you want to create. I seldom change feet anymore!
Old 01-19-2016, 04:30 PM

The open toe embroidery foot is cut out on the bottom, so you can't really get a great straight stitch or zig-zag, because the cut-out will allow the fabric to collapse on regular cotton fabrics. If you have a heavy fabric, there's no problem. I use mine for sewing Velcro and doing machine applique.
Old 01-19-2016, 05:32 PM

The open toe darning foot is the one...
Old 01-19-2016, 07:11 PM

for applique it is the open toe satin stitch foot the darning is for free motion quilting
Old 01-20-2016, 09:17 AM

Thanks everyone! It does look like the open toe satin stitch foot was the one. The instructor got back to me this morning. All the videos and advice from you all sure did teach me a lot!