Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Big totes full of double knits >

Big totes full of double knits

Big totes full of double knits

Old 01-20-2016, 04:21 AM
Power Poster

Because I asked the same question a while back, I made a quilt for my grandson who is 4... He loves it. He hauls it all over the place and uses it a lot to play under. Momma loves it since it will wash. I'm thinking there was more some place and it might be nice braided into a rug.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:17 AM

I've made several "quilts" using double knit squares. I serged them together and used them as bed coverings, picnic blankets, even stage curtains one time. They did not have batting or backing. It was almost impossible to wear them out, and they definitely kept us warm during the winter. One of those things over a sheet on the bed was enough weight and warmth. They weren't fancy by any means, but they did their jobs.
Old 01-20-2016, 05:24 AM

Well, it wouldn't use up much of the knit at one time, but when my first baby was born; my landladies (elderly sisters) made hime an Amish Puzzle ball out of knit and it lasted forever! In fact I was just looking up the pattern last week and wishing I had some knit to make one or two for babies in the family!
Old 01-20-2016, 05:59 AM

My quilt group made lap quilts for the local nursing home using knits for the 6 hour quilt by Kaye Woods.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:21 AM

My mom made matching quilts for my sisters and me when we were kids and sharing a bedroom. Sunbonnet ladies with parasols from double knit dresses worn by Mom, Grandma and remnants of our Easter and Christmas dresses. Over the years, some of the less durable fabrics have become so threadbare, but the double knit is still going strong. We spent hours and hours playing Barbies sitting on those quilts, and they've been washed numerous times. Now they adorn the beds my girls sleep in at Grandma's.

I also recall these quilts being very warm. We heated with a wood stove, but not ducted throughout the house. The electric furnace would kick in at 50 degrees. Our room was very cold, but we were always toasty warm.
Old 01-20-2016, 06:26 AM

We have many Hutterite Colonies in our area and the ladies cut the double knit into small squares and fold them diagonally and sew them into grids and make washable rugs. Some have designs like flowers or birds that they design themselves. They are beautiful. They have them in their entryways and there apartments.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:13 PM

Double knit makes great in the trunk blankets kept foremergencies or just a car blanket to have handy in the car.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:30 PM

Makes me think of leisure suits - yikes!
Old 01-20-2016, 01:39 PM

Double Knits make wonderful warm quilts. My daughter and Son-In-Law received a quilt from a family friend when they got married. Just simple squares and tied. It washes and wears well. It's bright and cheery. Have fun.
Old 01-20-2016, 04:37 PM

Thanks for all the ideas. These are the opinions I have from our group members.
Positives: last forever, easy to wash, good for homeless shelters, nursing homes, animal rescues.
Negatives: scratchy, heavy, sometimes not comfortable when hot or cold.

We will see what we can do and maybe try the rug making too. THANKS EVERYONE