Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why enter quilt shows? >

Why enter quilt shows?

Why enter quilt shows?

Old 01-23-2016, 08:41 PM

Default Why enter quilt shows?

I am trying to generate more participation in our guild's quilt show and need supportive evidence to encourage members to enter our exhibition. Most of what I can find on-line are people saying negative things about why they didn't win and should have or complaining about the feedback they get from judges. Can you send me positive reasons why a quilter should enter their creations.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:00 PM

I like the idea of getting feedback. I was immensely disappointed when I found out that the only AQS QuiltWeek where quilters get feedback is the one in Paducah. Honestly, though, if you're finding that most of the quilters where you're at do not want any feedback, but just want to see their quilt hanging on display amongst other beautiful quilts, why not eliminate that portion? Only give feedback to the winners about what the judges liked about their quilts & call it a day.
Old 01-23-2016, 09:22 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Our guild show does not have judged quilts, only one Viewer's Choice award. And let's face it, too many "viewers" have no clue really about what goes into a 'worthy' quilt; they just like the color, or the subject if it's appliqued, usually.

I think a non-judged show removes the pressure and allows the maker and the viewer to just share the passion.

(I personally only show in non-judged shows, but that's because sometimes I don't really give a hoot what "someone's" opinion of my quilt is! I didn't make it for them anyway! )

Jan in VA

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 01-24-2016 at 07:11 AM. Reason: language
Old 01-23-2016, 10:31 PM
Power Poster

Have some prizes for veiwer's choice or judges choice? Great way to earn money for the guild or a charity if it is well attended. A way to show off their work and perhaps get some new members? If you have vendors it is nice to shop all in one building. Sponsor a challenge to be judged for prizes at the show? Have the option of putting a for sale sign on their quilt ?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:52 PM

Here in UK you get a tick box colours etc with I think it was three choices. Personally I found it very upsetting as I. Had made in those colours or pattern or style for a reason and to be critiqued on my choice was wrong. I will never show again where judges are allowed to make discouraging comments.
make it so everyone can show their work with just 3 judges select their best quilt. Then visitors select theirs. Some will disagree.
Old 01-24-2016, 12:28 AM
Power Poster

If nobody enters quilts in a show, there won't be a show.
Old 01-24-2016, 01:44 AM

Our guild show doesn't have judges.
we voted on it and we just wanted to display our quits.
it's a great sucess.
Gale
Old 01-24-2016, 02:43 AM
Power Poster

Our guild's show allows you to enter for display or judged, your choice if you want your quilt judged. The non- judged quilts are hung right along with the ones that are judged. ( the inspection and judging takes place before the quilts are hung). That way it is your choice if you want feedback or not. We also have local venders and a ( market place) that contains items guild members have made to sell ( often aprons, dishtowels, pot holders, purses/totes, small quited items, etc.) That money goes into the guild money, pays for show expenses, guests at meetings throughout the year, etc. We have a good turnout-- have to find bigger venues for the show every few years. The show is put on every other year instead of annually too.
Old 01-24-2016, 03:21 AM

I don't enter my quilts because I don't want to make two trips to do so. Bring my quilt...pick up my quilt. It is a time issue. I am also concerned about the security of the show itself. Will my projects "walk"? Maybe it is just me with this concern but I prefer to keep my quilts in my possession. No, I don't want to be judged either, i consider myself a hobby quilter. I am not Doing this to be competitve with others. I can fill out my own critique! Haha! I could save the judges their effort.

Sandy
Old 01-24-2016, 04:36 AM

Would a quilt expo generate more enthusiasm? Just a way for people to exhibit their quilts for the sheer joy of sharing them without pressure?

I think people have different needs. Some are competitive or need validation therefore they enter judged shows because they really want that blue ribbon. For others, being judged takes the joy out of quilting. As others have said, maybe a good balance would be to have a judged portion and an expo portion with the option of sale?