Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Why enter quilt shows? >

Why enter quilt shows?

Why enter quilt shows?

Old 01-24-2016, 08:28 PM

With the guild I'm in we have the choice of being judged or just hanging a quilt we made. I was very hesitant about having a guilt judged but found out nothing is said publicly. You just get a paper with the pros and cons of your quilt. I liked the feed back and it was encouraging. Perhaps letting members know that the judging is done by an outsider will make them want to take the chance.
Old 01-24-2016, 09:12 PM

I enter our local quilt show for the fun of it. My niece and nephew helped with a couple of the quilts, so they were very excited to have them in the show one year. That alone was a great reason to enter! It's just plain enjoyable to see what my fellow quilters have created.

You could have a 'non-judged' category of quilts if the judging is scaring people away. Also, how many categories of quilts do you have? For example, art quilts, small quilts, lap, twin, queen and so on. Art. small and lap quilts are more manageable for many quilters who work only a dsm.

Positive reasons to enter:

* It's fun to see other people's work.
* It's fun to watch other people look at your quilt. It's true that some quilters will love it and others will walk by without giving it a second look. And that's ok.
* Some of the quilts are true works of art. We may never see the quilt again, but we can appreciate it in our memory forever.
* You can get some great ideas for a future quilt.
* Usually, there are vendors who sell 'stuff'. Who doesn't like 'stuff'?
Old 01-24-2016, 10:20 PM

Generally, who is entering quilts and who isn't? Do you find it's the more experienced or advanced quilters who enter?
Or is it the beginners?

Also, you could try some type of challenge or group project that everyone participated in.
Old 01-25-2016, 03:48 AM

I like getting feedback from the judges, except for two quilts, that I did not understand why. On a landscape quilt I did the binding to match the fabric on the front that it bordered. On another, a Dresden Plate, he said the thread that I sewed the plates on with should have matched each individual blade. Sew 2 inches change thread, sew 2 inches, change thread on a king size quilt. I think not.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:15 AM
Power Poster

Went to a quilt show where one person was "judging" a quilt with the quilter standing right next to her. Very rude since the person judging wasn't even a judge and actually picking at the threads. Shortly after the quilt got a white ribbon. Yay!
Old 01-25-2016, 05:21 AM

Come up with a few categories for the viewers to judge.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:29 AM
Power Poster

That said, your guild needs to decide if they want to have a competition or a show or both.
I agree. That's why a small group of us host two free non judged shows a year for everyone to show their work.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:43 AM

The guilds I have belonged to have quilt shows to raise money. That money is used to pay for speakers and classes. Also to showcase quilts and educate the public. I think several categories is good and definitely let people select whether they want their quilt judged.

So I entered to support the guild, and had decided to have my quilts judged with some trepidation. I have found it to be a positive experience. If someone is commenting negatively about quilts during the show it is a reflection on them, not the show.
Old 01-25-2016, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by kyquiltlover1942 View Post
I like getting feedback from the judges, except for two quilts, that I did not understand why. On a landscape quilt I did the binding to match the fabric on the front that it bordered. On another, a Dresden Plate, he said the thread that I sewed the plates on with should have matched each individual blade. Sew 2 inches change thread, sew 2 inches, change thread on a king size quilt. I think not.
re:comment on thread from judge...I definitely would have challenged his remark and his credentials.....not all judges are qualified - some are just local home ec teachers.....nothing wrong with being teacher, but I think a quilt judge should be more specifically geared....JMHOJMHO
Old 01-25-2016, 06:08 AM

I would never enter any of my quilts in a quilt show; it's just not for me. However, I love that others do ... I truly appreciate seeing all their delightful quilts; granted I see them only on my computer screen, but I enjoy them immensely.