Doughnut ear pillow.

Old 01-25-2016, 04:58 PM

KLO - your idea sound right...could even sew that center into a circle rather than square...interesting, never heard of this before...
Old 01-25-2016, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by KLO View Post
Since you mentioned making square pillows, I wondered if you couldn't just make a square pillow the size you want (right sides together, sew around leaving a hole for turning which will be hand sewn closed after stuffing) except when stuffing it, first sew a small square shape in the middle before stuffing then stuff the rest of the pillow form. There would be no hole in the middle but since you sewed a square there with no stuffing, it would not press against the ear. That seems like it might be the easiest and fastest way to make one. Hope this makes some sense to you when you read it and hope it is doable. Sometimes what is in my head does not always work. Nice of you and your group to volunteer to do this.

I like this idea.
Old 01-25-2016, 11:17 PM

Thank you to all who replied to my request on the ear pillow. Because some of you wrote that you also have this problem, I want to share with you what I did finally come up with. DONUT EAR PILLOW Use 1/2" s.a. - much Cut two pieces of fabric 10 1/2" square. Cut a hole in the center of each that has a 3 1/2" diameter. Cut a strip 4" x 6 1/2" for the depth of the hole. (The radius of the circle is 1 3/4" or 1.75 x Pi 3.14 = 5.50 or 5 1/2" circumfrence.) Sew the ends of this strip together. Place a mark at each quarter-circle, on both sides. Then mark both holes on the squares. With RST, sew the strip to each side of the pillow. Turn so the right sides are out. Turn under 1/2" on all four side of the 2 squares. Ironing will make pinning easier. Pin the edges together on 3 sides and maybe an inch on the fourth side. The opening is for stuffing after top stitching. Stitch as close to the edge of the 3 pinned sides; stuff pillow; then using a zipper foot, sew the opening closed. I hope this makes sense to all you. This was the best I could come up with!
I will try to post a picture of my finished product, as soon as I figure that out!!!! Also technologically challenged!!
Regard, apples galore
Old 01-26-2016, 06:03 PM

I use to work with the elderly in a nursing home We had quite a lot of them. They seem to work pretty good for those who were not ambulatory.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:40 PM

Couldn't you use one of those U-shaped pillows people use to support their necks on planes or long car rides? Position your ear over the opening.

Sometimes I have solved this problem by laying my head sideways on two pillows just a couple of inches apart. Your ear falls into the open space but your head is completely supported. Try it--it's very comfortable!