Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Question on black fabrics >

Question on black fabrics

Question on black fabrics

Old 01-28-2016, 07:43 PM

I used black for sashing in my Crumb Quilt. I used what I had, never mind the texture or weight. I thought I would have to explain the different blacks, but I really couldn't see any difference even when I knew they were very different. Of course no two blacks touched each other because of the corner stones.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:42 AM

I agree blacks are tough to match. I wish you luck. I just had to purchase more black for my Allietare quilt and couldn't find anything like what I started with... fortunately, it's sort of a scrappy quilt and as long as the sets match it should be close enough.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:50 AM

Black fabrics are dyed black using leftover colors from the dye vats..hence, the inconsistency of "black" fabrics. There are "true" black fabrics that are dyed to be a true black....such as Blank Quiltings' Jet Black Eclipse and Michael Millers' black. Maywood has a true black also. I have a bolt of it in my stash. But as far as a match to others...likely not. Once the project is quilted etc..i am sure it will look fine. It is all an illusion.
Sandy
Old 01-29-2016, 04:56 AM

I always use Midnight Black from American Quilter's Society. I always wash fabrics first, but a friend didn't and it shrunk a little.
https://shop.americanquilter.com/123...id-fabric.html
Old 01-29-2016, 09:48 AM

You need to discover the undertone of your black fabric. Cut a piece and soak it in hot water until it bleeds. Is the water turning blue? indigo? purple? brown? or greenish? How much bleeding is occurring? Most likely you should pre-wash the entire piece of black Party on Confetti, so that all the excess dye is removed. Your fabric may look dull. Don't panic, take a piece of your pre-washed black to the fabric store and match it under GOOD LIGHTING. If the lighting in that store is "off" then walk the fabric over to a window to get better lighting. Good luck.
Old 01-29-2016, 10:07 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by yonnikka View Post
You need to discover the undertone of your black fabric. Cut a piece and soak it in hot water until it bleeds. Is the water turning blue? indigo? purple? brown? or greenish? How much bleeding is occurring? Most likely you should pre-wash the entire piece of black Party on Confetti, so that all the excess dye is removed. Your fabric may look dull. Don't panic, take a piece of your pre-washed black to the fabric store and match it under GOOD LIGHTING. If the lighting in that store is "off" then walk the fabric over to a window to get better lighting. Good luck.
If you are going to go through that process .... then you would need to do the same with the solid black too.

WillFerg ... re your original question as to whether Hoffman's solid black would be the same black as their Party On Confetti black, I would suggest contacting Hoffman's directly and ask if they are meant to be a coordinating pair.

Last edited by QuiltE; 01-29-2016 at 10:09 AM.
Old 01-29-2016, 12:55 PM

I found the best black to be the Michael Miller black.
Old 01-29-2016, 01:12 PM

I learned a lot about blacks after I won the guild's raffle quilt. It was a very vivid stained glass style quilt with black sashing throughout. It is bordered with black. After washing, the blacks all faded differently. Some stayed deep black. Others faded with a greyish or brown finish to it. I now know to buy all my blacks at the same time.
Old 01-29-2016, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Crispy_Frog View Post
I learned a lot about blacks after I won the guild's raffle quilt. It was a very vivid stained glass style quilt with black sashing throughout. It is bordered with black. After washing, the blacks all faded differently. Some stayed deep black. Others faded with a greyish or brown finish to it. I now know to buy all my blacks at the same time.
How sad that the quilt you won had blacks that faded differently.

Dina
Old 01-29-2016, 03:46 PM

There are so many colors in that fabric why do you need black ??