Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a budget...... >

Quilting on a budget......

Quilting on a budget......

Old 02-04-2016, 10:46 AM

I too am on a strict budget & I buy online during big sales. Anything over 30% draws me in to look. I've actually found a lot of wonderful shops by hunting bunnies with FabShopHop.com & I sign up for newsletters at the shops I like. Then I can shop the best sales whenever & keep up with what's out there. I also buy at GoodWill sometimes, thrift shops, and search Craig's List. If all else fails, buy used cotton clothing and/or tablecloths and repurpose the fabrics.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:47 AM

Another good idea is if you don't want to keep the quilts try finding a local guild or group that makes donation quilts. Many times they will provide the fabric if you make the quilt and give it to them to donate.
Old 02-04-2016, 10:49 AM

Yes, the price of quilting has gone up tremendously and I think that keeps a lot of people from quilting. Don't throw any scraps out. Save them for scrappy quilts which happens to be my favorite type of quilt!
Old 02-04-2016, 12:05 PM

For backings, buy sheets on sale. I've found that 100% cotton or 60/40 cotton/poly blends work well for that, as do flannel sheets. I usually get flannel sheets from Sears or Penney's late January and February because they are on sale. But look them over carefully so you can get the best quality flannel you can afford.

If you have a Good Will near by, check for fabric there. I make a trip to the local GW to check for fabric at least twice a mont. It's hit or miss, but I have been lucky enough to get nice fabrics for a very low price. Look over the sheets there, too, as some are new or like new. In fact, I sometimes find the top sheet of a set of sheets that has never been used, while the fitted sheet shows wear and tear from use. Apparently, a lot of people don't use the top sheets.

Walmart has some good fabrics, but like any quilt fabric store, some of it isn't so good. Since you're an experienced quilter, you will know the difference.

Hobby Lobby - most fabric is nice and the prices are reasonable. JoAnn's - used to be reasonably priced, but last time I was in a JoAnn's, the fabric was pricey.

Online stores: Try Connecting Threads, Marshall's Dry Goods, Thousands of Bolts. I'm sure others will have their favorites.

And, of course, shop the sales both at LQS and online.
Old 02-04-2016, 12:34 PM

I used google to look uo the name and found this: Hope it helps!
http://www.quiltingboard.com/blogs/-...aker-2325.html

Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
I buy my fabric from #1piecemaker here on the board. It says closed, but it isn't.
Old 02-04-2016, 01:36 PM
Power Poster

I do occasional buy my fabric at JAF & HL but with JAF, you really have to be there to feel the quality of the fabric. I buy most of my fabrics online and on sale.
Old 02-04-2016, 03:14 PM

I see someone already mentioned Whittle's grad fabric at decent prices. Also when yard sales start up. You can buy clothes cheap and use the yardage from them. Happy quilting. Where there's a will, there's a way
Old 02-04-2016, 03:30 PM

*** Check out yard sales, flea markets, CL, E-bay, Good Will, Salvation Army, & other thrift stores.
*** You can use good but old sheets, good but old shirts, clothes, etc.
*** I use Wal-Mart, Joann's, Hobby Lobby, Hancock, in my area.
Old 02-04-2016, 04:03 PM
Power Poster

well if you have a joanns or hannocks use coupons sometimes wal mart has faBRIC BUT CHECK IT GOOD
Old 02-04-2016, 04:59 PM

I get fabric at yard sales, online sale sites (craigslist not ebay), recycled clothing, gifts from others. I am a Bonnie Hunter/scrap quilting fan. I usually only buy at craft stores (Joannes. etc) when I need batting/backing/thread. Check out Jordan Fabric.