Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Quilting on a budget...... >

Quilting on a budget......

Quilting on a budget......

Old 02-04-2016, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by sewellie View Post
I buy my fabric from #1piecemaker here on the board. It says closed, but it isn't.
Me too! She has some beautiful fabrics.
Old 02-04-2016, 05:49 PM

Don't forget fabric.com and Beverly's fabric is also very good prices too. Beverly's has a deal of the day every day, you just have to sign up for it and they send you an e-mail everyday. Or you can just go in and look.
Old 02-04-2016, 06:57 PM

Also Hancocks of Paduch. They have a sale right now that is batiks for 5.99 and 6.99. Amazing price for batiks. Name brands too. I ordered over 20 yards today for 143.00.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Pearl View Post
I am new to quilting and really enjoy it. Today I went to the quilt shop (closest is 65 miles away) to buy backing and binding for a twin size quilt. I was surprised to find all the fabric was $10.99 and up. It's been years since I have bought new fabric I had no idea that it was so expensive. I'm afraid that I won't be able to continue to quilt because of the price of fabric. Can you help me with suggestions on how to quilt economically. How about the prices online are they as expensive? I live in a rural area and have to drive to get to any store that sells fabric. How about Hobby Lobby and Joanns's is their fabric ok to quilt with?
I have never had success with thrift stores for fabric around here, and in addition, they are located 30 miles away. The local Walmart carries Waverly fabrics. The solids are $2.97 and the prints are $3.97. Heavier weights for pillows, etc, are $4.97 and there are some wonderful prints in this line. The quality is good in my opinion. You may want to consider checking it out if the thrift store doesn't pan out.
Old 02-04-2016, 07:14 PM

Auctions are a great way of getting fabric. I bought a lot of fabric and some great notions, including a very nice Ott light and a huge Omnigrid mat for next to nothing.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:08 AM

Originally Posted by annt59 View Post
I love to shop at www.thousandsofbolts.com in sale section. Brand names for $4.95 a yard.
I also purchase from thousandsofbolts. com. They are located in Ohio and I usually receive my order in three days (here in Kentucky). Recently I ordered two yard of a Moda Bella and they called me because they only had one yard lengths available and wanted to know if I could use one-yard lengths or did I need the two yards in one piece. I really needed the fabric and one-yard lengths were fine. I thanked them for calling me and I had the fabric two days later.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:52 AM

Missouri Star Quilt Company (MSQC) has a daily deal with really good prices. Shipping is a flat fee of $5.00 and free if the order is $100.00 and over. I sometimes buy a layer cake as a daily deal and cut them into fours to get four charm packs out of the layer cake.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:21 AM

Tell your friends, neighbors, and family members that you would welcome good used cotton clothing for quilting. People often have clothing that is too big/small, or maybe has a tear and the rest is good. Men's shirts and ladies large shirts, full skirts, etc. have quite a bit of fabric in them. If someone you know has a garage sale tell them you would be interested in any cotton clothing that does not sell when the sale is over. Often they will give it to you rather than send it to the landfill or haul it to a thrift store.
Old 02-05-2016, 04:24 AM

Always check out the specials at you LQS. Ours sells fabric 40-50%off 2 times a year to make room for new. I jump on those sales. I think JAF has some lines that are higher quality. Sign up for the coupons! Even thread can be expensive so watch for the sales. This overall is not a poor "man" craft!!
Old 02-05-2016, 04:29 AM

I buy on the web at green fairy quilt , check the entire site for great bargains, and a daily special, free shipping for a purchase of ten dollars or more