Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Neutral Quilt Ideas Needed >

Neutral Quilt Ideas Needed

Neutral Quilt Ideas Needed

Old 02-10-2016, 10:27 AM

I just did a square in a square and I think it would be lovely in neutrals. Missouri Quilt Co. has a tutorial for it.

Watson
Old 02-10-2016, 10:43 AM
Power Poster

How about having her look on Pinterest or other websites and show you what she likes. I'm sure she will find something that appeals to both of you.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:15 AM

If she really hates a quilt pattern but wants those colors, just ask her if she wants squares in those colors placed randomly.

I'd get her to look at pics and tell her more specifically what she does like...that's tough if she says she doesn't like "quilt patterns". Maybe she just wants a really "quiet" quilt.
Old 02-10-2016, 11:27 AM

Thanks, Jan for the "look up" suggestions! Googled the neutral modern quilts and loved many of them!

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
She's probably telling you she doesn't want a traditional quilt pattern, but a modern one; many, many of the younger generation prefer the 'new' look -- I remember the Pucci prints from when I was late teens/early twenties.

If you google "modern quilts in gray and white" or "neutral color modern quilts" or even just "modern quilts" you'll get a whole lot of easy but dramatic ideas.

Good luck, Mom; this way of quilting can be hard on some of us long time quilters!

Jan in VA
Old 02-11-2016, 04:32 AM

Yellow Brick Road looks lovely in light neutrals. I couldn't find an image, but a friend from my quilting group made one for a wedding gift, and it was beautiful.
Old 02-11-2016, 05:38 AM

several neutral color quilts in the book "Sew a Modern Home" by Melissa Lunden..
Old 02-11-2016, 05:48 AM

There is a pattern in the McCall's quilting November 2007 that is called White Chocolate. Beautiful. I am starting it now. If you Google White chocolate quilt pattern, it will come up.
Old 02-11-2016, 06:25 AM

Save your sanity, ask her to pick something. That's what I did with my 2 opinionated daughters, LOL. After they settled on the pattern each liked, took both to the LQS and made them pick their fabrics (two completely different AND nothing I would have picked) then we went out to lunch.Guess those apples didn't fall far from this tree!! LOL
Old 02-11-2016, 08:46 AM

Your posted quilts are lovely! I can think of many many places they would look elegant when displayed. Thanks for sharing these beauties.
Old 02-11-2016, 12:48 PM

My oldest is the most bland boring person on the earth. I love her to death, but making a quilt for her was crazy! Her house is beige, tan and black. Her clothes are simple, very few patterns - tasteful, but boring. I decided to go wild, throw caution to the wind and made her an illusion quilt. I used a very slightly off white for the background, a dark charcoal for the 'shadows' and used a collection of greys, taupes, dark cream, very very light maroon and a light denim blue. To cover myself, I did the backing in an allover cream tone on tone print. She loved it! Sometimes they just think they don't want color because they are imagining a wild and crazy pattern. When they see a soft or somewhat muted quilt top, the actually like the color contrast. One thing I did discover is that these folks are usually more taken with the modern quilt designs. Good luck.