2016 Fabric Moratorium

Old 02-16-2016, 07:40 AM

I am so far off the wagon I will never find it. $38 2 russet brown sheet, 4 dark brown and 2 royal blue and 1 cream. I am guessing around 45 yds of materil in them. I figure I paid too much.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:13 AM

Coloradowest, if you spent $382 for 45 yards of material...that's not too bad....$8.50/yard is still a good price. And, you might not have found all the colors to match later on. So........don't worry about the cost...just make a lovely quilt out of it.

I made it to today without going to the quilt store sale. But, my husband had gone to run errands and I was at home.....thinking about getting dressed just to go see "what they have". I think the effort of actually having to get changed and put shoes on made me decide to stay home and sew! I hope I'm not getting "lazy" about leaving the house! But, after working over 39 years.....it's kind of nice to "stay home" for awhile!

Everyone, have a great day sewing!!
Old 02-16-2016, 09:46 AM

As I began quilting in earnest, I had three boxes under my ironing station. 1 for strip quilting, 1 for larger pieces and one for pieces too small to go in the other two boxes. Until recently, those boxes were overflowing and my bulldog was enjoying playing in them. I have now finished going through them and organizing the strips into usable strips (3 sizes), am cutting bigger pieces into usable squares and have bagged a large bag for a pet bed to take to bee and be given to the person who makes pet beds. AND I bought a old dresser and have put my stash (most of it) in the drawers by color. I was appauled when it did not all fit but at least we can put sheets and towels back in the linen closet. I think I need a nap.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:32 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Maggie77802 View Post
AND I bought a old dresser and have put my stash (most of it) in the drawers by color. I was appauled when it did not all fit but at least we can put sheets and towels back in the linen closet. I think I need a nap.
I had to chuckle. My stash covers many cabinets. You and your one dresser have nothing to worry about.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:52 AM

What a great idea! I am limiting myself to working on one major work-in-progress, and not only avoiding any fabric stores, but trying to avoid starting anything new. All promises are off come summer, because I really want to do the Row-By-Row quilt again this year.
Old 02-16-2016, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Altairss View Post
I have not been in the fabric store since before Christmas, I did pick up a nice sheet at the thrift store for backing for a quilt but that's it. Went thru about four totes of fabric that were giving to me a couple years ago and got it down to two and shared the rest with friends.
Way to go! Now your friends need to sign up to use up their increased stashes!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:34 AM

Coloradowest just hop back up here with us. I remember last January my LQS went out of business (sure miss that) and I fell really badly. The rest of the year was at least better. This year I had my pouty purchase and nothing else. I did order backing for a project and some one yard cuts of red for a quilt for my son. He picked the colors and I have very little red but no fabric purchases to stick in my stash thankfully.
Old 02-17-2016, 10:53 AM
Power Poster

My guild is doing the BOM project differently this year. Instead of an exchange, everyone buys the same fabric at the beginning and then makes blocks for their own sampler. I'm thinking of playing so I would have to buy that one piece of common fabric.
Old 02-17-2016, 06:10 PM

Well ...live been quiet hoping the teacher won't call upon me........failed......my defense is because I tackled my sewing room, sorting through my stash I discovered I have no blenders. Just darks not even mediums. I started stitching scraps for a Chinese Coin quilt. Boy no variety......and also the Valentine fabric spoke to me as I'm in another group and needed to make a valentine block. Well I am trying again not to purchase I sorted my Row X Rows and need to focus on stitching those. I wish I would of purchased quilt kits years ago instead of what I liked as there is no rime no reason........feeling overwhelmed..........calla
Old 02-17-2016, 06:23 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by calla View Post
........feeling overwhelmed..........
My favorite saying: How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.
Just hang in there, calla.