Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Making Charity Quilts >

Making Charity Quilts

Making Charity Quilts

Old 02-16-2016, 02:07 PM

Just a thought but the fire dept and/or police keep quilts on hand for victims of fires or other stressful events in someones life. We also use to sew simple soft toys for the sheriff to give out to children. Quilts/blankets/soft toys are stress-relievers as well as comfort providers.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:29 PM

When my husband was getting chemotherapy he was given a quilt that he could keep on his first day. Many of the patients stay snuggled under a quilt while they get their treatment. Then take them home and bring them back next time. This keeps germs down from the quilts not getting passed around. It also gives the patients a little much needed love to know that people they don't even know care enough to make the quilts. The need is never ending I am sad to say. I've been making quilts for them ever since.
Old 02-17-2016, 02:14 PM

I've made about 50 quilts for children at cancer centers. 30 went to Project Angel Hugs (don't know if that one is still in business, as founder died), and about 20 for Dell Childrens Hospital. Also use fat quarters to make small 'hug me' pillows for those youngun's too. Made pretty but not with too much white, just in case child gets sick and stain doesn't want to wash out. Just a thought. Also, include blank label for child's name.
Old 02-18-2016, 06:45 AM

some ideas for where to donate quilts.... homeless, shelters, cancer centers, special care homes, nursing homes (some people have no family or visitors), hospices, palliative care units, lap quilts are great for the wheelchair bound especially for long-term hospital stays, veterans units, you can make quick blankets/beds for animal shelters, Red Cross, emergency services, fidget quilts/mats are great for dementia/Alzheimer's patients, and I'm positive there are more...

You could also make simple stuffed toys for Red Cross and emergency services for frightened children in traumatic situations such as fires or accidents. I had made small simple stuffed toys called comfort dolls that are great for people in traumatic situations (such as children or survivors of abuse). They are made to fit in the hand and easily tucked into a pocket so the person can hold it when they need it.

If you have knit materials, you can also make chemo caps for cancer patients. I have a quick pattern I can share.

I'm positive you will find a great use for your talents and it will be appreciated by many.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:27 AM

I, too, became interested in sewing charity quilts about a year into Longarm Ownership. I quilted about 35 tops for a local quilt guild that gives them to hospitals and the local police (who can hand them out to children who are removed from their homes under emergency situations). Then I discovered my "own charity." While visiting relatives in a different state, I met the director and ladies of a half-way house for recently released prisoners. This charity is small, and works with 7 ladies at a time, giving them guidance in how to turn their lives around and find jobs. Within 6-12 months the women move into their own apartments. As each woman leaves the facility, she takes her quilt with her, so there is a continual need for more quilts as new ladies move into the half-way house.

I am hoping to make 7-14 quilts a year for this small group. I make twin size up to queen size, whatever I feel like at the moment. This is a stretch for me because I love Bonnie Hunter patterns that have a gazillion pieces each. I know, I'm crazy! Obviously, I need to find patterns with fewer pieces so I can achieve this goal. This charity receives no government support and is only supported by local businesses and churches (and one long-distance quilter). I took a tour of the facility, and it was so humble using donated everything and is run on shoe-string. That makes me feel like I am making a difference.

This is to encourage you kind-hearted quilters who want to share the results of your fun hobby with others. Keep your eyes open and look for an opportunity that will match up with your desire to bestow quilts on people who will need/appreciate them and folks who need to be reminded that someone is sending good wishes their way.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:50 AM

Regardless of what anyone else says you just need
to look at your own heart for the answer; it's there.
I have a friend that is always stating she is not going
to use nice fabrics for the shelter quilts and quite frankly
it grates on my nerves.
Just ask your heart what it wants.