Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Pictures > Mission: Organization
Let's Organize Something Today >

Let's Organize Something Today

Let's Organize Something Today

Old 02-23-2016, 08:12 PM

I need to stop robbing from Peter to pay Paul, in other words instead of moving the stuff from one room to another, I need to actually take it OUT THE DOOR! I did gotake several boxes to the thrift store today. I only donate to those thrift that serve the community or mission overseas, not someone elses pocket.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:57 AM

deb that's a way cool way to handle your donations. I have a bunch that needs to go to the trash that has been sitting by the door for at least 6 months. Sometimes I am impossible to deal with.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:57 AM

I will be glad to get my pile out the door. I think I can fill my Nissan truck bed with what we have thus far. Have to go thru the closets again. Mine especially and the drawers. My daughter is great about getting rid of clothes she can't wear anymore or wont. I need to do the same. I have some that are 10 years or more old. I think I am going to wear them, but don't. This one I am going to need mental help with.
Old 02-24-2016, 02:30 PM

i think my old worn out clothes will work for some other project. Not, but try telling my mind that.

It's time to update my quilt documentation.
Old 02-25-2016, 11:26 AM

Mountain Deb.....you've discovered my life-long secret! I've always said at any given time, there is a room that is a "mess". I just put everything that doesn't fit anywhere else in the third bedroom and have been for years! Even when we moved to another house......the "mess" room is the third bedroom! When visitors come, we clear out the third bedroom and put things in various places. As I'm keying this in......it sounds like I go to alot of trouble dealing with the extra stuff INSTEAD of getting rid of it! Ha! Oh well.....we were able to donate much of my work clothing and about 5 unused suitcases to the home for domestic violence. We figured they could use clothes and suitcases to get to where they are safe. They even pick up the donations (secrecy and safety prevent them from disclosing the location).
Old 02-25-2016, 02:33 PM

Good job NoraB.
TKhooper, that could be awhile right on that project? LOL

Did I tell you that I organized my embroidery threads? Yep, bought those spice racks and then I lined them up by color. I need one more shelf I think, but it is nice to be able to look on the shelf and there it is by color. Now onto another area of the new studio to clean. Hubby did not say a word about the reorganization I did and the stuff I was getting rid of. In fact, he said "that drawer is in the shed and I will get it fixed so you can use it" on the desk. He has been going to do that for nearly 10 years now.
Old 02-25-2016, 02:39 PM
Power Poster

Dh went through the hall closet and got rid of a lot of his old jackets and pants. Big difference since much of it was from when he smoked. He said he wasn't going to have me look at any of it because I might want it. Nope that was totally ok by me and he was right. Ineed to go through some of my drawers.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:57 PM

I started the KonMari method of decluttering today. If you haven't read Marie Kondo's book, you ought to, if you truly want to get your house in order in a major, thorough way. Her question on what to keep is "does it spark joy?" is the only question for deciding what stays. If so, keep it, otherwise discard it. I spend two hours today dealing with 90 % of my clothes using her method. My discard pile is twice the keep pile. The process of doing the whole house should take about six months. The idea is to do it all in one fell swoop, and not rebound because you'll be keeping and surrounded by only those things that you love.

Last edited by zozee; 02-25-2016 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 07:33 PM

I worked in my sewing room for over an hour putting things away and generally cleaning. When I left the room, I turned around and couldn't see that there was any difference! Went back for another 1 1/2 hours and got most of the rest put away. Had a bunch of batting scraps from quilts I had done, all that was cut into 4 1/2 inch squares for a denim quilt. Then I got 200 denim circles out and pieced them into a quilt top. Now I need to cut the fabric to top the batting and stitch it all down. Then I will have the batting cleared out, 200 circles cleared out and 1 1/2 yards of fabric used up.
Old 02-26-2016, 03:47 AM

Originally Posted by zozee View Post
I started the KonMari method of decluttering today. If you haven't read Marie Kondo's book, you ought to, if you truly want to get your house in order in a major, thorough way. Her question on what to keep is "does it spark joy?" is the only question for deciding what stays. If so, keep it, otherwise discard it. I spend two hours today dealing with 90 % of my clothes using her method. My discard pile is twice the keep pile. The process of doing the whole house should take about six months. The idea is to do it all in one fell swoop, and not rebound because you'll be keeping and surrounded by only those things that you love.
Thanks for this recommendation! I researched the book and I think it may be just what I need.