Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Specific explanation, please. >

Specific explanation, please.

Specific explanation, please.

Old 02-26-2016, 04:06 PM

Default Specific explanation, please.

Define UFOs for me because I am still confused. Is it when you have found the perfect piece of fabric for a certain pattern and will start it sooner than later? All the fabrics together? Patterns are never an issue with me because I just keep adding them to my stacks....have hundreds available. Quilt I started 5 years ago and now can't find it? We moved to a much smaller place a couple of years ago and some boxes got sent to our warehouse...way up on a loft I can't reach. No cooperation from my son even tho there are several half finished ones and I can only occasionally remember some of my others in progress or how far along they are. He doesn't think I really need them until I finish some the projects scattered about here, especially the ones with pins in them. He's probably right because at my age, I need to hurry a little more. So, my question is simple, which ones should I give up on? Am I just too greedy?
Old 02-26-2016, 04:17 PM
Power Poster

I don't think it's a UFO until you've at least started cutting the fabric. Until then it's just stash.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:19 PM
Power Poster

UFO stands for " unfinished object" so, any project that has been set aside unfinished is a ufo. There are lots of other acronyms used -- wip-- work in progress, is another popular one.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:24 PM
Power Poster

I think everyone has their own definition of UFO. If I have a pattern & pulled the fabric, that's just a pile of fabric. After I've cut the fabric and am actively working on a top, that's a top in progress. If I don't work on a project for a while (after the fabric is cut) it becomes a UFO. The amount of time "A While" is varies by season. When the top is pieced, but not quilted, it's a completed top, not a UFO...
Look over all your in process projects. If you really don't think you are going to finish something, and that bothers you, then by all means donate it. A local guild may have a charity quilt group that could take it & finish it.
I would find the one that is closest to completion and work on that one get it done. That will give you a sense of accomplishment and hopefully encourage you to tackle the next one.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:25 PM

UFO's are quilts in progress. I probably wouldn't consider it a UFO unless there was some sewing done, but I don't know if there's some hard & fast rule about what constitutes a UFO. I have one that has been a UFO for a some years now. It is a Christmas quilt that I bought fat quarter bundles for when a local JAF was closing (to reopen at a larger location). I get maybe 2 blocks done each season before I give up on it.

My personal choice is to try to just have 2 quilts going at once (okay, 3 when you count that holiday UFO thing) because otherwise I get too distracted and will never finish. I have so much energy when I get started on a quilt & then partway through it hits that "I'm not sure I'm going to like this" phase and I just want to give up -- plus, I have all these design ideas in my head that I desperately want to get out in fabric! For me, I've found I do best when I just push through and get the quilt done. I always love them when they're finished.

If you haven't worked on something for 5 years, I guess I'd wonder how likely you really are to want to finish it -- especially since it sounds like you have a lot of new ideas, too. Sometimes guild members will adopt a UFO to finish and donate to charity. I know there was a point in my early quilting career when I wanted to make quilts for charity but didn't have enough money for the fabric. I would have loved to inherit someone's UFO, finish it & find it a loving home. Perhaps that is an option for you -- or a quilter's garage sale. If it's too much to think of parting with all of them, maybe you could pick 5-6 of your absolute favorites that you want to commit to finishing & then donate/sell the rest. Just an idea.

I definitely don't think you're being "greedy". It's just hard to commit to one idea when there are so many beautiful quilts out there in the world just waiting to be made.
Old 02-26-2016, 04:37 PM

Hi Lynn,

My definition of a UFO is something that is in some state of being started.

Ex. A Block of the Month that is sitting and waiting for me to add a setting to the blocks and maybe some borders. It was started about 5 years ago.

Ex. A Block of the Month that is sitting with only half of the blocks done. I didn't like one of the blocks, so, I just stopped making them. I'm not even sure I have all the fabric anymore. That's about 4 years old.

Oh, and there are plenty of others. I have passed on some practice pieces to charity that were just quilt tops. But, I hang on to others hoping I will live a very long life and eventually finish them.

Really, the biggest reason I wanted to comment is, you said you have projects sitting with pins in them. That's really bad for the fabric. And, if the pins come in any contact with moisture, your quilt tops could be ruined.

Is there any way you can hire someone to do the heavy lifting for you. I have on occasion been able to hire one of my son's friend's to do some work for me. My son would do it in a heart beat, but, he works a lot of hours and travels regularly for work. So, this compromise works out well for us.

Last edited by Judith1005; 02-26-2016 at 04:41 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 05:24 PM

My 6' son just moved to north Seattle. Do you want me to send him down to help you?
Old 02-26-2016, 05:29 PM

If you need some inspiration to finish the quilts you have in the house, do some reading on the UFO Challenge thread.
http://www.quiltingboard.com/quiltin...h-t273926.html

There's also some chat about what UFOs are.

Or make your son his favorite cookies. I can get The Hubs to do quite a bit for a pan of almond shortbread.
Old 02-26-2016, 06:17 PM

I also figure a UFO is a project that has been started and for whatever reason not completed. I also consider it a UFO until it is completely finished, as in pieced, quilted, and bound. I've been working on my UFOs there were 8 hanging on a rod -- they needed to be quilted and bound. All of them are done. I will get another back from the quilter on Tuesday. I think everyone has their own definition of a UFO. This is what works for me!
Old 02-26-2016, 08:09 PM

Just keep what you love. Sometimes we fall out of love with what we started. Or it just gave us problems. Or ...whatever. The reasons don't matter. If it's dragging you down, get rid of it .